We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Punta Cana

Dyer, Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Excellence Punta Cana

Hello

My fiancee and I will be honeymooning at excellence the second week of Oct. I was wondering if anyone had any information on some of the excursions outside of the hotel that are offered? Also, this is our first time in the Caribbean, or an all inclusive so any information on what the hotel offers in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Missy

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,986 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

We have a few experts on that resort. I've been there twice but did not excusions because the hotel is so remote that it will take around 1.5 hours just to get to an activity. Still do not let that discourage some explorations but be realistic about your timetable. There is a destk just before the Toscana restaurant that has various representatives from a variety of agencies that can book you on just about anything you want to go to. Just be prepared for a long day.

The hotel itself, while laid back, always has something happening. Cooking classes, dance lessons, spanish lessons, assorted games where you can sometimes win prizes (spa treatments, rum, maybe an excursion). The swim up bar is always active and good for laughs, while the cascade pool is quiet. The main pool usually has volley ball, water polo, cocktail making class, bowling with pineapples or something happening.

In the evening, you will find and Excellence Newsletter that will tell you what is happening the next day and also tell you of any spa specials you can take advantage of. Also, you will see a schedule by Toscana Restaurant.

Food is definately above average for an all inclusive. You wont be getting 10 star gourmet food but there is enough variety that you will always find things you like to eat. If anything you are probably safer eating on the resort as they are very careful in their food sanitation. Only time I got sick was from drinking too many coconut based drinks (natural laxative effect).

Pool is a lazy river pool and the best one I ever seen.

Shows are good, a few better than others and the disco can be very active depending on who is there. We tend to bring our own fun with us and take over! *LOL*

The rooms are clean, comfortable, the matress is very firm, which is what I like but too firm for others. They have pillow toppers available so you may want to get one ASAP when you get there. They just did some renovations and, while I haven't seen it yet, I hear the rainwater shower is nice and the vessel sinks too. The jacuzzi tub is open to the sleeping area but you being honeymooners, it should be no big deal but some people get surprised.

I am sure you will have a great time!

The animation team is always thinking of something to do that is fun.

The beach is very pretty with sparkling gold sand and water that is a bit choppy so be careful. It's fun to play in and body surf but swimming will not happen there. If you go about 500 yards to the right (when facing the beach) you will find calmer water there but you will be off the resort with no lifeguard. Still its remoteness insures only hotel guests will be using the beach. No one else.

Mentioned in this post
Toscana Restaurant
Toscana Restaurant
4 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Dyer, Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Thank you so much that was very informative!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,986 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Anytime! We have folks here far more informative than I am. MHEATH is at EPC right now and has a live forum going and he is wonderful about answering questions.

Flip_Flop_Man is another expert but aint seen him around. Maybe he is traveling!

It's a lovely resort and I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

The rain showers are indeed very nice - but the new sinks - useless! They are very very shallow, so fine for washing hands etc. but you can't handwash any of your clothes properly (as we normally do when we are at a resort for a few days, I like to use laundry detergent to get swimsuits etc. properly clean.

We thought the bed was very comfy, no need for a topper, but we did request extra pillows as we found 3 between us to be too few.

The one piece of advice I can give is that if something isn't right, tell them - they really want you to have a great vacation, so if they can do something to make it better (in our case, fix the AC, replace the ipod radio, clean our room earlier in the day) they will.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

I agree about the sinks. Funky looking but lousy functionality.

Mark

Rogers, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Piggy backing on this thread...

Any other pro tips from veteran visitors? My wife and I (married in March) are finally getting our honeymoon at the end of July and would like to make the most of it. I've read the Excellence Club is worth it, but to wait to get there to upgrade. Any other advice for check-in to get upgrades? Is there anything else that you wish you had known about from the first day you arrived that would have made your stay more awesome?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

Yesterday, they gave me a tour of the various room types. I asked them about the price of the upgrade to club on arrival. They said it depends on the room type, season, and occupancy, and that it's no different tha what's posted on their website.

Mark

Rogers, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

One more question, and I know it gets beat to death...

What about transfers to/from the hotel and airport. We called the hotel (or at least the HQ) and they said just get a tax or shuttle when you get there from someone in a uniform and it would be $25/person or like $50 for a cab. I also have found Coco Tours who quoted me a shared transfer for $118 round trip and a private one for $138. I've also looked at Gobecon that claims $30 for up to four people in a private transfer. What recommendations do you have here?

Mentioned in this post
Gobecon
Gobecon
41 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

It's $70 each way for a taxi, for up to 4 people. Pre-arranged transfers will be similar.

Mark

10. Re: Excellence Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 19, 2014