We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Dec/ Jan ??

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in Dec/ Jan ??

Are most of the hotel pools heated? Would it be warm enough to swim in early January?

thanks

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Dec/ Jan ??

Most of them are NOT heated, but the most common complaint that you hear about the pools is that they are too warm. That's not what I've found (I found it extremely cold!) but I think I have thin skin.

Kaki

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Dec/ Jan ??

Kaki

how warm is it generally over the Christmas holidays...I have already lloked up the actually statistics, but from a general FEEL, is it beach weather?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Dec/ Jan ??

Oh yeah!!

There will be a bit of a breeze at all times but the temps will indeed feel like 28. I go in January/February and it's 29 or so as an average then, but I just returned from a week in April and, though it was only 31, I thought it felt a lot warmer than the earlier months (extra humidity?). So I'd say that 28 is certainly beach weather, but you shouldn't spend too much time uncomfortable.

Kaki

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Dec/ Jan ??

We were at Secrets in January...average air temperature was high 85 and low 72...nice breeze on the beach kept it comfortable. The ocean water was warm...nice for a swim. The pools were not heated and seemed a little cold when you first entered, but then it was just fine.

Brenda :~)

5. Re: Swimming in Dec/ Jan ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 16, 2009