We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air canada vacations?

canada
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
air canada vacations?

I am confused about what is included..whats not..and if there is a good rating for this carrier

in over 30 trips now to the DR..we have NEVER used AC.. but we bought a deal a week or two ago for our fav resort for oct. it was the same price for two weeks that we bought last year at the last minute,, it was our first trip to this particular resort and we loved it so much we returned already once this year in January. So needless to say when we saw an early booking special we decided to jump on it, rather than to HOPE it fell into our price range as a last minute deal.

so.

questions.

meal? free or do you order like west jet? no issue either way..just want to be informed

seating? cramped like the NEW transat planes (oh god they are horrible..and we are just averaged sized) or more like westjet?

entertainment? I think they have the seat back tvs..do they cut out like transats and westjet about two hours into flight? if so I will load a couple movies on my net book.

thanks in advance.

Lynn

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air canada vacations?

AC flights are changing soon to their new Rouge airline, I believe june or July 1. No one as yet has flown in these new configured planes, to my knowledge. I'm booked on an ACV flight to Samana this Oct. I've done a bit of research. ALL you will get is a cramped seat (29" pitch). No meals (must purchase sandwich etc), one water/soft drink, no free entertainment. (it will be streamed to your mobile device for a fee)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,010 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: air canada vacations?

Yikes!! The 29" pitch seat is a deal breaker for me.

Mark

canada
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: air canada vacations?

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH CRAP.

oh well. we will have to remember we are heading to paradise.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air canada vacations?

Is there an upgraded section on the planes like Sunwing?

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: air canada vacations?

There appears to be an upgrade seat to Rouge Plus on Airbus 319.

Cabin class – rouge

118 rouge seats

Pitch: 29” (new comfortable “slimline” seats)

Recline: 3”

Width: 18” (between armrests)

Width: 22” (outside armrests)

Wheelchair accessible

Cabin class – rouge Plus

24 rouge Plus seats

Pitch: 35” (new comfortable “slimline” seats)

Recline: 5”

Width: 18” (between armrests)

Width: 22” (outside armrests)

Wheelchair accessible

Upgrade for $40 each way to the Caribbean

Also says Boeing planes will be introduced in winter 2013 that will have Premium Rouge seats. No idea if those planes would fly to PUJ though.

Link with all details is below

aircanada.com/en/about/media/rouge/meet.html

canada
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: air canada vacations?

thanks soooo much Vickie..i am upgrading NOW...if it is possible

Edited: 2:06 pm, May 04, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: air canada vacations?

Hope you get the Plus seats. It was too late for me so I'm stuck being cramped.

I have to say of all the airlines I've flown in my life, AC is the absolute worse to deal with. I've been screwed around so much by them already and I haven't taken my trip yet. This will be my last vacation with them. I'd rather pay more and fly with WJ. Dealing with rude, clueless dingbats in Montreal is hell.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: air canada vacations?

Thank you Bigjim....always great to have an option for comfort if you want to pay for it.....which we always do if we can. Gregnlynn, you should be able to upgrade if the plane is not already full which is not likely get. I wonder how many seats are reserved for this service?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: air canada vacations?

There are 24 seats

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: air canada vacations?

We are heading to PUJ Oct 5-19 via AC direct flight out of TO. I just confirmed our seats yesterday directly with AC (even though we booked resort & air thru another online site). As Bigjim93 says the Plus seats do offer extra comfort and are 40.00 each way per person. For us $160 extra covers our excursion. We fly yearly to Europe on 8 hour flights economy, and can manage 4-1/2 hours to PUJ economy. But the Rouge A319 we're on has no emergency seats in row 17 so we booked row 18 - lot of extra leg room, and your TV comes up from your arm rest. On our departure date, the Plus seats are plenty, but only 8 left on the return flight, so never to early to book the Plus seats. Just a note the agent informed me not to be alarmed when we arrive at our departure gate and the plane does not appear to be Air Canada, that's because the new Rouge are Chinese planes retrofitted for AC and not painted with the standard AC logo. And as margadagio says I too am a huge WJ fan. I'm hoping AC will redeem themselves to me for their last disaster with us - thanks to AC missed a connecting flight stuck in Heathrow 3 days over Xmas with no assistance from AC, ever see Terminal, lol.