We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USD, Peso, or credit card for Condo Stay?

Ottawa , Ontario
Level Contributor
427 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
USD, Peso, or credit card for Condo Stay?

I will be renting a condo for a week and I was wondering of some of you might be able to help me out here.

I've always stayed at AI. So I only traveled with USD for tipping. I was hoping to use my credit card when possible to avoid brining to much cash. (yes I'll advise them I'm traveling. I know the drill. I used to work for them. Lol)

Should I even bring USD this time?

How safe is it to use a credit card at places such as the major malls and grocery stores, Hard Rock?

Do local restaurants prefer the peso?

Any all around advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: USD, Peso, or credit card for Condo Stay?

at the mayor malls/all grocery stores you can use credit and debit cards, so you do not need to bring all needed money in cash. for local restaurants, most accept credit/debit cards, but even if your fav place doesn't, you can get pesos thru your credit card from a ATM, they are available everywhere.

i would mix it, use the CC for grovery shopping and bigger restaurant bills, for smaller purchases, bar visits etc use Pesos taken from a ATM, and bring also some US$ cash to have some backup money in case a CC would stop to work, get lost/damaged etc.

Mike

Ottawa , Ontario
Level Contributor
427 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USD, Peso, or credit card for Condo Stay?

Thanks Mike!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USD, Peso, or credit card for Condo Stay?

and if you have a Scotiabank account you can use them for no extra fees while you're down there.

4. Re: USD, Peso, or credit card for Condo Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 05, 2014