We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

litter in punta cana

ras
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
litter in punta cana

The resort we stayed on was spotless that is not what i'm writing about I went on several excursions .The trips to deep sea fishing etc and back I observed litter at the side of the road. I was amazed at how much there was. It seems that the Dominican people dont care about where they throw there garbage. Has anybody else noticed this fact or am i being picky. Personaly I think they should consider taking a little more pride in their beautiful island.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: litter in punta cana

This is not an issue exclusive to DR. Many other Caribbean islands have a lot of litter, along with many other parts of the world, even in parts of Europe. Even the US had a litter problem before the 1960's "don't be a litter bug" campaign (probably well before you were born). Not really a pride thing...it's just not a priority. I agree that it distracts from the beauty of the island.

Alliston, Canada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: litter in punta cana

Hey Ras!!!

The previous poster is correct, litter is everywhere, but I totally see where you are comming from. We were in Punta Cana in late March and I was stunned at the amount of garbage on the sides of the roads too. I have been there 4 times and I do not recall it as bad as it is now. It was also what the garbage was....bumpers, old sinks etc. EVERYWHERE!!!!! Not only was I shocked to see that but also the amount of water bottles along the beach. We were at Sunscape, so we had an hour drive to the hotel, I am assumming thats why I noticed it so much more this time. We walked the beach the first day down to the Sirenis and I was blown away at the amount of plastic water bottles thrown along the side of the beach. Now we have to assume that the water bottles are from tourists taking the same walk I was, thats sad. But I do agree that the littering seems to be getting worse, way worse and it is a shame, the country is beautiful.

Cheers.................................................................................LD

wr
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: litter in punta cana

dont even try and blame this on the tourists. the blame falls strictly on the dominicans. I have travelled over all of latin america and have never seen such a flippant disregard for keeping streets and the general environment clean. it is surprising because they generally have impeccable personal hygene and their houses are immaculate even in the worst areas. it makes no sense to me. fortunately my neighbourhoods has civilized people so i can go days without seeing litter, however it disgusts me when i see how badly this country is treated especially in tourist areas.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: litter in punta cana

You are definately not being picky. This is a valid point and has always been such a turn off and a real shame because the island is beautiful. I just do not understand it to be honest? I cannot think of another island that I have been to that is on the same level with regard to street trash. Yes, some have pocket areas where items / trash has been disgarded but not to the extent of the eyesore along the roads of the Dominican Republic. This must pose a huge health concern to the local people. I agree, the problem has worsened between the time we visited Casa del Mar in 2002 until our recent visit to Punta Cana this past March.

Nakkie

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: litter in punta cana

Unfortunately in the DR there is a general lack of personal responsibility which manifests itself most visibly to tourists with the presence of unacceptable amounts of public litter. In reality this is just the tip of the iceberg and often (because there are exceptions) you will see examples of a real lack of taking responsibility for personal actions by many Dominicans which can be extremely frustrating for ex-pats and some visitors from North America and Europe who tend to get away from the tourist resorts.

Gregg

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: litter in punta cana

I don't know anything about the infrastructure of the Dominican Republic, but it probably isn't as developed as our countries. They may not have garbage trucks going to everybody's home and hauling all their garbage to landfills in New Jersey. I hate to imagine what would happen to my neighborhood if we didn't have this service to magically make trash disappear every week.

wr
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: litter in punta cana

the sad thing is that in many urban areas where tourists never go there is garbage collection. la vega san francisco and sd central come to mind as reasonably clean places. unfortunatley the government does get the idea that putting similar programs in place in tourist areas would be a good idea. it is an embarrasment i would think that they lose millions in tourism from people that dont come back for that very reason.

dominicans have a lack of personal responsibility especially in the poorer groups. there was a dictatorship in place for 40 years that gave the people handouts and took care of things. people have an incredible sense of entitlement. even now the prd party in particular has won elections by giving gifts to voters . now many of the poorest dont even bother getting jobs because they have relatives in the states sending them moey. they need to get their act together and stop waiting for others to look after them

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: litter in punta cana

My hubbie and I were prepared for the poverty, but definetly observed a trashy road to the resort, as well as litter on the resort we stayed at. We thought it appeared as though, on the drive to Bavaro Beach, while there was building on the right, the junk from the right side building was strewn to the left side of the road. We kept wondering why the construction people had not made arrangements to pick it up. We figured they just left if for the next people to build.

As far as litter on the beach and resort itself and lazy tourists, I stayed at the Bambu and did not observe litter on our walk to the huts for shopping, until we were real close to the huts. As far as litter on our resort, we observed a great deal. People who brought breakfast to the beach and simply left dirty plates and cups for someone else to clean up, empty beer bottles thrown in the gardens next to our ground floor terrace and many other examples of this type of lack of concern for others and lack of respect for the property and expecting others to pick up after oneself.

We live in the inner city of Philadelphia. Our neighborhood has changed dramatically. We love where we live, especially the diversity of cultures, but have noticed complete disregard by some of our new neighbors' children for litter and personal property. Many assume if there is a tree in front of the house, it is there for them to swing from and pull branches off, even though we put out a few hundred to plant the tree. Many think eating chips and water ice and leaving the trash on my porch is just okay. Have often wondered what happed to..."Don't be a litterbug." Many of the houses around us have gone HUD and can't help but see the same disregard when hand outs or assistance is given. I think what may have happened to the Dominicans in the past is the same as we see in the cities in the U.S. Please do not get me wrong...not all HUD house properties are dirty, but on my street, most and most do not care.

wr
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: litter in punta cana

exactly...

my travels and experiences have led me to conclude that the attitudes of the majority of poor people are universal. they lack personal accountability, have a sense of entitlement and are unnapreciative of the many handouts that they do recieve. the litter problem in the rd is the result of at least 50 % of the population being part of an unmotivated unconsiderate underclass. the same attitudes prevail in ghetto areas throughout latin america, the united states and even canada where the underclass has an unprecedented sense of entitlement.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: litter in punta cana

drrep, It is sad to have to make such a general statement like we have, but I do believe a tremendous sense of entitlement exists.

I used to teach in the Catholic schools in the inner city of Philly, some really bad areas. The majority of my students were non-Catholic in a Catholic school, but their parent(most did not have two parent households or were being raised by grandparents) felt the only way these children could bring themselves out of the neighborhood was to be educated. They did not trust our disastrous public school system to give their children a chance . They paid a great deal of money and made many sacrafices to do the same, just so the children could go somewhere in life. While I was responsible for teaching all subjects, I also felt it was my obligation to teach the children responsibility for their own actions and hoped to instill a belief that there is no reason not to succeed.

Personal responsibility needs to be taught to the children.