We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Bavaro vs Melia Caribe

NY
Level Contributor
66 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Bavaro vs Melia Caribe

My husband and I are trying to decide the better resort for our family. We have an 11 year old and infant and are looking for one stop shop since traveling is not as easy with the baby. I am interested in how the resorts compare in the following areas: tween activities, food, lodging, facilities and service. We have some picky eaters and are looking to spend a week and be entertained that week.

THanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Bavaro vs Melia Caribe

We (myself, husband, 9 year old son and my mother-in-law) were just at the Melia from Feb 27-Mar 10 and at the Iberostar Bavaro in early December. Had a great time at both - here's my comments on what you're looking at:

tween activities: we thought it was better at the Melia - the kids club had two young guys (along with girls) so my son enjoyed that more - also because the club is located right off the pool whereas it was further away at the IB. He really enjoyed going to the adventure park with the kids club (you pay $10) but it includes zip line and rock climbing and he thought it was a lot of fun.

food - Was very good at both, however, would say it was better at the Iberostar - more choices at breakfast/lunch buffet including grilled foods at lunch - no bbq at the Melia. Reservation process was easier at the Melia. Our son is a pretty picky eater also and he usually managed to get something he liked from the buffet or at the a la cartes.

lodging - I thought the rooms were nice at both - bathroom at the IB was a bit nicer as it had a stand-alone shower and separate tub - whereas at the Melia it's a shower in a very deep tub. I would think that bathing an infant would be easier at the IB.

facilities and service - Great at both. No beach service or beach bar at the Melia - had both at the IB. Also, was a long walk to the bathroom from the beach at the Melia.

One additional comparison I could make is that the Melia is HUGE but does offer trams. If you're in a room close to the lobby then you'd have to take a tram to the beach/pool - or if you're in a room near beach/pool then you'd have to take the tram to dinner at night. We did not have any problem with it - but some people might prefer the smaller IB complex.

The beach (ocean) is much calmer at the Melia wheras the IB ocean water is wavy (size of the waves depends on the weather - can be gentle or can be more rough).

Both resorts have great pools for kids - my son loved them. IB has a water park but it's geared more for kids between 3-6 years of age. Melia has two very small kiddie pools that might be good for your baby.

Edited: 2:16 pm, March 28, 2013
NY
Level Contributor
66 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Bavaro vs Melia Caribe

Thank you for your response it was very helpful and comprehensive!

3. Re: Iberostar Bavaro vs Melia Caribe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 30, 2014