We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

My family and I are planning to travel to Punta Cana this summer. I have looked at many travel websites and priced out air/resort packages. I must say that Apple Vacations are very pricey for the same exact itinerary as USAirway, AAVacations, DeltaVacations..etc.

I found a really good deal on one of the major airline websites and then compared with Apple....the difference was a whopping $1,300.

I've noticed many on here book their vacations with Apple. There are some benefits, such as having a rep at the airport as well as the resorts. Well, I called Apple Vacations yesterday and told them of the offer I found. The first agent I spoke to took all the information down. He then transferred to the "price match" dept. They were able to verify the significantly lower price on the airline website....same everything....same flight, resort, room type, ...everything.

They did match the offer and gave me a booking number. I did not give a credit card at that point as I wanted to run it by my husband. I called back an hour later to say I was ready to purchase. The agent had some questions...I did tell her it was a price match. She then said she would transfer me to the "Core Dept". After a really long wait, and by the way, I felt like I spent the better part of the late morning and early afternoon chasing after this "deal", I was told that someone in the "Core Dept" would call me or email to finalize everything.

I finally get an email early this afternoon. The agent says that they could book a room at The Reserve and not the Paradisus Palma Real (which is what I requested) for almost $2,800 more. They mentioned nothing about availability, or lack thereof. The email requested that I contact them by 4pm today with a deposit. It took everything in me not to utter words that would have made anyone question my Christianity.

I immediately went to the airline website and purchased my package for the same price that Apple Vacations wanted to give me the run around on. I think they were so disenchanted that they weren't going to make money off of me. For giggles, I priced out the same number of nights at The Reserve...same room, flights, date that Apple tried suckering me into buying today......they tried charging me $2,000 more than if I had purchased that same package at the airline website.

I'm sorry if this is all over the place. I still have not been able to get over the anger of Apple trying to sucker me out of more money and "upgrade" me to a different resort. How dare they tell me where I should go? I'm the one paying for this vacation!!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Paradisus Palma Real...
11,983 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

I've only used Apple several dozen times and never had any such problems, and my costs have always been right in line with any other equal offer.

Of course I do use a good travel agent.

And from experience I know that its a bit more costly from Boston than from Pittsburgh.

But if you found the deal you want, and you are getting everything you would have gotten with the Apple package, there's really no problem, right? Enjoy your trip, and I do hope it is all you wanted.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

Wanted to add, one of our group did have an experience where she had not quite decided for sure, and then went back the next day and found the prices had gone up $1300 pp. for that particular trip. (this was in 2010)

But our travel agent was able to get her the lower price anyway.

canada
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

Dear Nancy:

After spending several hours (unrelated field) with our phone company, I feel your pain. Getting what you want in the end is not the point. How many different ways they try to shaft you, try to insult your intelligence and waste your time - that is the point.

I totally get it.

Now lets all take a deep breathe blow out the bad so we can have a great vacation!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

Nancy, don't understand why you even bother with Apple. Why anybody wants price match I don't get it, beat the price for me. The other thing you say that Apple has representative at airport and hotel, well so everybody else does. And by the way the rep at the hotels are there to sell tours, and so everybody elses reps. Don't know much about Boston or for that matter Pittsburgh, but Apple is not competitive at all in NY. In the 'old' days when there were no online travel agencies Apple had 'monopoly' with brick and mortar travel agents,this is not true anymore. I don't even bother looking at their 'sales'.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

Nancy,

Not sure why you would go thru all the trouble of a price match without consulting your husband while you wait so when Apple ok'd it, you would be able to book. Apple has every right to expect that you would book it then. Also, perhaps if you used a travel agent, which costs no more, and in fact can sometimes cost less, things may have turned out different.

Finally, heaven help you if you booked thru Delta Vacations. You will be fine if you have no problems, but if like us you run into a blizzard or any other unforseen situation, you will have NO assistance from them either via phone or an invisible Delta rep at your hotel.

While we recently went thru a horrible situation in Mexico trying to get home, our friends who had Apple reps were well cared for while my husband and I had NO rep and very little assistance via phone with Delta... My travel agent was given a total runaround and will no longer book Delta Vacation packages. Since we were not allowed by Delta to stay another day (at our expense) we flew out of the airport and had to land in JFK and then not fly out till the next afternoon out of La Guardia with no hotels available, no busses, trains and NO assistance from any Delta rep to help us even at JFK....where we ended up renting the last car (a minivan) and drove at 2:30 AM to Massachusetts at considerable cost.

Please note that we had full insurance, the best policy offered, at a substantial cost ($300) and to date are still fighting over any reimbursement of expenses. Also note that we received no food vouchers, hotel vouchers and in fact were told that it was "not their problem."

Yes. Apple is worth it. Their clients flew out the next day.

All the way home.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

Companies are in business to make money.. It's always much easier to book hotel n flight by yourself. Never any issues.

@ Oceangirl. How much did the minivan cost to rent? Miles aren't charged in rentals.

Edited: 7:29 am, March 08, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

@needabreakcanada-Thank you. Those are my sentiments exactly.

@oceangirl-my husband wasn't around when I found a good deal where we could stay 6 nights vs. 5....I shared an hour later when he came home. What a horrible ordeal for your friends to go thru what they went thru w/ Delta. I read very similar and than worse experiences with Apple since what happened yesterday. By the way, I purchased w/ American.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

oceangirl51

If you feel that Delta owns you money and they do business in Boston than you can sue them in small claims court for your expenses. Most of the time you will win or they will settle. And you don't need a lawyer for that.

Edited: 7:33 am, March 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

@needabreakcanada-Thank you. Those are my sentiments exactly.

@oceangirl-my husband wasn't around when I found a good deal where we could stay 6 nights vs. 5....I shared an hour later when he came home. What a horrible ordeal for you to go thru w/ Delta. I read very similar and than worse experiences with Apple since what happened yesterday. By the way, I purchased w/ American.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apple Vacation experience? Mine, not good.

Third I,

$250. plus gas. Plus the anguish of having to drive down the highway avoiding stranded cars and snow drifts until we came upon a Hampton Inn in CT with availability and no dead cars on the ramp.

I am flying Funjet soon and after that we've booked with Apple. Love them both...with Apple being our favorite.

I love my travel agent as well. She rocks!