We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone service in Punta Cana

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone service in Punta Cana

I was wondering if anyone who has already been to Punta Cana can confirm that they had no problem with their cell phone service. We have Verizon, and are at the Riu Bambu. Phone calls, texting, sending and receiving emails, etc. Thanks.

Laconia, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

I have verizon and my phone will call and text no problem. It is a little expensive to use it. The verizon website will give you exact prices.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

Be sure your phone allows global roaming and it is activated. One of our older phones would not work, the other would,.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

if your company's roaming works with Claro or Orange, then you have cellphone coverage everywhere in punta cana/bavaro, a bit spotty in Uvero Alto.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Uvero Alto
Uvero Alto
Dominican Republic
Newfoundland
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

So Mike, we are with Bell, I have not heard of Claro or Orange, so would I have to phone Bell to find out if these cards are compatiable. This may be a stupid question to ask, but I don't know the answer, so probably someone can answer it for me. We have always purchased phone cards at the resort and used a special phone in the lobby. However, I don't think this can be done at the resort that we are staying at. Thanks

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

Thanks, I called Verizon and they confirmed that Claro and Orange are the carriers in Punta Cana, however, they cannot confirm or deny a partnership with them.

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

I googled the claro and orange phone cards online and it gave me a site to some FAQ about the DR. I don't know how accurate it was but they said that the cards would work on any GMS phones, but you would have to activate the phone in the DR. Also it said that you could purchase a phone down there for around $40 US and then buy the cards. Not sure like I said if this is still accurate, but perhaps someone on TA can inform me if this is so.

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

lovelylady11,

As far as I know, Bell is CDMA, not GSM. GSM is what most of the world uses. I believe Bell offers world phone options, which means your phone also supports GSM. You should call Bell and find out if the Dominican Republic is supported with what you have.

Mark

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

Not exactly. Bell upgraded from CDMA to GSM/HSPA+ about 3.5 years ago. They now have both networks in service simultaneously, although nearly all phones on sale are HSPA phones.

The simplest way to know if your phone is GSM or HSPA+ is if your phone has a SIM card. If it does, then you're on the new network.

I'm with Bell and have always got reception on Claro's network anywhere in Punta Cana.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,134 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

But if you are with Bell, it is best to check with them anyway. We had issues with our Bell phones in 2011, even though I spent 45 minutes on the phone to a rep before we left home. Also, their international rates are awful, but if you must use your phone. an international package is probably the way to go,

Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phone service in Punta Cana

You can also try http://www.bell.ca/roaming