We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

I have been doing (too much) research for our next vacation, which we hope to take around March or April 2014 for 4-5 days. It will be just my husband and I(we are early 30s) so we're looking for something romantic and fun. For the moment I've narrowed it down to the Iberostar Bavaro Grand and the Royal Suites Turquesa. they both seem to have the same concept of an adult only section within a larger complex, which I feel gives the best of both worlds, allowing you to visit the party scene without staying amongst it. IGB looks absolutely amazing and since we have never stayed at a true 5 star Resort of course I'm excited at the possibility. However, I am a bit worried that it might be a little too nice in the sense that we will definitely be doing some drinking on our vacation.also with the price of the IGB, we will most likely only be able to afford 4 days instead of 5. RST looks nice as well, but not quite IGB status. Here's what we're looking for.

Great food- My husband is incredibly picky. 24 hr room service would be awesome.

Nice beach- I love to lay out and although I'm not going to swim in the ocean per se, I still want to frolick.

Good drinks- I love rum

Activities and entertainment-we are night owls, so stuff open late would be a plus

Luxury-we would love to feel pampered for once

I would like to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read and contribute to this thread!

Dracut...
Level Contributor
79 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

We are at RST now. Towel game is there but we have had no problems with getting loungers. Even as late as noon they are available. We go back to our swim up room for the afternoon so we don't know about that time of day. If we come back here we will absolutely get a swim out room. The towel game seems fierce at the main pool as we walk by it to get to the beach.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

randd64,

Can you still access the royal pool without the swim up room?

New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

Rashaanda we did travel to the other Iberostar resorts and they were much rowdier and more crowded. It was great to come back to the IGB though for the space and less rowdy atmosphere when we had enough. It wasn't snobbish at all. We met some great people there and the swim up bar was always fun to hang out at. The entertainment team was so much fun and we participated in quite a few activities. IGB service was beyond anything I have experienced at a AI and that is what really makes this resort stand out.

Dracut...
Level Contributor
79 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

You can go in any pool, but the swim up pools at rst do not connect to a main pool. The royal pool is right near the beach, about a 5 minute walk. It is in the older section and has a lively bar. But you do need to walk a bit from the swim up suites.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
35. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

Tra99,

Thanks for the info! IGB sounds great, of course. I haven't heard a negatove thing yet.

randd64,

I couldn't tell from the pics/videos if other rst guests could access the swim up pool. Thanks for clarifying.

Dracut...
Level Contributor
79 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

You will see other guests using the swim up pools. There are loungers set up around the pool for guests on upper floors. That said, we have been here three full days and have only had swim up room neighbors swim by. But we have seen other swim up blocks more crowded. And we are pretty far from the bars for the swim up blocks. There is no swim up bar for the swim ups, you need to walk out of the pool to get a drink. There are also servers walking about so you can wait at your room for drinks too.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
37. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

randd64,

I actually don 't plan on getting a swim up but it's nice to know I can still lounge/dip in the pool as a Royal guest, lol. Thanks again for the info.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

I am surprised to see the opinions re. lack of loungers and palapas on the beach at RST - we stayed there in Dec. before of the Christmas week and although the resort was full we never had a problem of getting the lounger under palapa on the beach - it looked like it may have been worse around the main pool as the area is not that big but the beach area is very extensive, with lots of palapas and loungers. People do get up in the morning to reserve the specific palapa they want to get - first row or closer to the bar - but if you want to get any palapa - it is always avail., unlike at many resorts we stayed at. The shade availability at the RST is one of the best and the beach is very comfortable and pretty. They even had a full time washroom attendant on duty..

Also the food and the service at the Royal's restaurants is second to none, tons of fresh fruits, veggies, steaks and lobsters are very good. I am sure that at the IBG it is all good too but it is always priced much higher, at least from Vancouver where we live.

We stayed at the further away from the beach villa at the RST - they are newer - and the walk to the beach was like 5 min...and it was closer to the restaurant - like 2 min. If you stay at the beach it is opposite - 2 min to the beach and 5 min to the restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

Thanks Olga,

Do you know if the Romance Suites (not swim up) are in the new section?

40. Re: Iberostar Grand Bavaro vs Royal Suites Turquesa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 03, 2014