We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets or Ambar?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenwood...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets or Ambar?

Trying to decide which is the better option. Both have great reviews but the Ambar is a little more $. I've been eying up the secrets for a while now but a lot of the reviews are mixed and it seems like there are a lot of return customers to the Ambar. Any words of advice?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,910 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

Kelly

What are you looking for in the resort you want to stay at and how long are you going for???

Georgina, Canada
Level Contributor
369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

We are going to the Ambar in June based on past experience staying at the Esmerelda at the Gran Bahia. We were so impressed the rooms and the staff and the quality of the resort. We feel for the cost its a great value.

Greenwood...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

We're looking at going in May for five nights. We're looking to relax by the beach and pool and hit the spa once. Not really looking to do any excursions but I am concerned about the bumping situation at the Ambar. For a small trip that wouldn't be worth the hassle. We stayed at Secrets Capri for our honeymoon and loved it and kind of liked the smaller resort atmosphere. I just want a nice, clean place to stay with good service. Not too picky.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

Hi,

I would vote ambar went last november. first time going back for a second time in about four weeks. price is good for ai great service cannot go wrong we loved it!

Terry

Mississauga
Level Contributor
816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

In May there should be no problem with overbooking. May is the start of the slower booking time. We have been to the Ambar 3 times in early May and never had a problem. I recommend the Ambar.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,910 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

Hi

We have looked a Ambar and ruled it out with it being part of a much larger resort and the beach not being all the good

We enjoyed our stay at SRB last October and if you check out my review you will find a link to a large photo album for it

Georgina, Canada
Level Contributor
369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

I'm showing the Secrets to be more money than the Ambar. I find the architecture and rooms to be nicer and more caribbean also at the Ambar. And like you say more returning people to the Ambar.

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

We were considering the Ambar for our last trip but decided against it. The resort does appear to be great but just didn't seem to suit us. We prefer smaller resorts and really don't like to make reservations for dinner.

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

We debated over these 2 as well. "Size" really is a double-edged sword. With a larger resort, there tends to be more staff available and more amenities. We always preferred a "smaller" resort because it felt more "personal". We traveled to the Ambar and our opinions changed. Yes, it is part of a larger resort - but it is adults only and that is enforced by security. The Ambar itself is only slightly larger than 500 rooms - which is small in comparison to many. Contrary to what FF says, the beach is beautiful [our #1 criteria]. Being part of a larger complex, visitors have access to many restaurants, large theater, lobbies, shopping, bars, etc. And, if you prefer, you can stay on the Ambar property for peace and quiet. PC

Greenwood...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets or Ambar?

Thanks for the input everyone!