We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

Sacramento...
5 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

I am trying to plan a couples trip for my husbands 40th birthday. We love relaxing on the beach, nightlife and doing adventurous things (zip lining, snorkeling, ect. but we're not divers). We are leaving the kids at home so we are looking for the adults only all inclusive experience.

I would love feed back from other travelers on if we should go to Playa del Carmen or Punta Cana. I am very interested in opinions on staying at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun which seems to be further away from the downtown area of Playa del Carmen. My only concern is racking up taxi costs to go do things. I haven't been able to find if this hotel offers any type of shuttle service places.

Sacramento...
5 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

Thank you sooo much!!! So we decided on PDC for sure. The website I was going to book Maroma on (cheapcarribean.com) has horrible reviews so I'm back to square one and I'm under a time crunch to book. I would love some place like the Royal but with a nicer beach. Food is also super important at the all inclusive since I got sick on 5th Ave. and I'm not interested in repeating that again. Any suggestions for very nice hotel, with amazing beach and food that more centrally located to downtown PDC? A beach with no one bothering us would be very nice.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

I booked the Valentin Imperial Maya in PDC.

It was very nice with good food and accommodations and service. I decided on it over the SMB mainly because I got more bang for my buck at the Valentin. You can look at my profile to read my review on the resort.

I booked it through cheapcarribean.com with zero problems. They offer a cheap bus to PDC to shop and the like.

Add: Parts of the beach are very private and secluded, I proposed there for that reason. But the parts of it are too rocky for swimming.

Edited: 12:48 pm, February 12, 2013
WI
Level Contributor
371 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

I also side with The Royal in PDC....stayed there a few years back...awesome and within walking distance to 5th Ave and the boat to go to Cozmel

London
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

CH123-13:

" I'm also discovering that we could do Punta Cana at a mid range hotel and air for the same cost as Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera and air"

Please tell me where you got those price comparisons!! nowhere I've ever seen those prices coming in close! We have stayed at SMB and the place is absolutely amazing! the beach is phenomenal!

Have an awesome trip whatever it is you decide!

Cheers!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

Would Puerto Vallarta be cheaper from your location? We loved the Dreams there and it is a $5 cab ride for four to the downtown. It's not AO but when we have gone in the fall we have not seen hardly any children. The resort is more quiet in the evening but it is very close to the nightclubs downtown.

Toronto
Level Contributor
80 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

The ROyal Playa Del Carmen is a fantastic resort. I found the beach to be pretty good, despite the rocky areas there are plenty of sandy spots as well. Good food, great service, hammocks on all the balconies and the nicest rooms of any resort we've been to. the beds are super comfortable and there are liquor bottles and ipod docks in all the rooms. It was nice to have 5th avenue right there as well.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,404 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

anxious

I think the OP meant to say

"I'm also discovering that we could do Punta Cana at a mid range hotel and air for the same cost as Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera not including air"

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
60 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

Sounds like a lot of fun to plan your trip! My husband and I went to Secrets Maroma Beach for our honeymoon. It is a beautiful resort and the staff was beyond. The food was good, everything was perfect. However, we did find ourselves getting a bit bored... We stayed for 12 nights and it started to feel repetitive. We did go into Playa del Carmen but it is a pretty good drive to get there and it seemed like more of a hassle than it was worth.

Don't get me wrong we had a wonderful time and would go back in a heartbeat. But, the thing that we missed was, for instance, when we stayed in Cancun we were able to just walk out of the resort and head to a new restaurant or bar, etc. We felt kind of trapped at SMB. I guess it depends on what you want but I would probably recommend a different resort based on your want to be more adventurous.

We are going to Punta Cana for the first time to try something new so I can't speak to that for you.

Good luck with your trip planning!!

19. Re: Punta Cana vs. Playa del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 03, 2014