We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

hilton head, sc
Level Contributor
140 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

I just read a review of BBB and was greatly troubled by these statements:

"Top shelf alcohol cost extra, some of the restaurants cost extra, and the resort credits were a joke! I have never been to an all inclusive where you had to pay extra for stuff, thats the point of an all inclusive!"

In all previous reviews for BBB I have never seen this mentioned. Can any forum posters comment on this? I confess I don't know which restaurants are being refered to, although the reviewer mentions eating at the Palace Deluxe, next door, so I wonder if that's what is meant by this.

Any input on this?

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
267 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

Just returned from the Barcelo Bavaro Beach - We had to pay an extra $15.00 per person for the Kyoto restaurant (not sure why because it is the same Japanese formula as all other resorts I've been to - nothing extra) - and we also had to pay $50.00/person for the La Comédie (French) restaurant - - yep $50.00 per person - The food was good - but I still do not understand why they have these restaurants in an all-inclusive complex where you are asked to pay. When booking the French we understood $15.00 per person (as opposed to $50.00 - would never ever had gone if we had known) - they ended up charging us $30.00/person for 3 of us (we were 2 couples) -

Also - we always bring our own wines (because honestly the wine at this resort is awful) - we had to pay a $10.00 fee to be allowed to drink our own wine.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

I think any extra costs are spelled out on their website; restaurants for sure indicate if there is a fee.

As for charging for top shelf liquor, I'm not sure. But I can tell you that you will have AI options for drinks. Guests will only have to pay for extra services/goods if they choose to.

Happy travels.

hilton head, sc
Level Contributor
140 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

Thanx to both of you for clearing this up for me! I think we can skip the French place, too.

Southgate
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

I'm not sure about top shelf liquor, but if you book Club Premium there is no extra cost at those ala cartes.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

I was at BBB last year and drank Grand Marnier, Bombay Safire gin and Drambue and no extra charge.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

i never been to a AI where there would not have been estras offered for a extra fee.

it usually starts with the wines, the resorts have their housewine included and the good imported stuff goes for a extra fee, and i completelky understand that and have no problem to pay such, as such bottle of wine costs more than a guest on a AI package pays the resort per 24 hrs for all the included booze together, so of course i would not await such to be included.

the sales sites always state what is included in the different AI packages, mostly it is the local alcs plus some average "top shelf" liqueurs.

Mike

hilton head, sc
Level Contributor
140 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

OK, I found the upcharge for the restaurants listed on the Barcelo Deluxe site, not the Barcelo Beach. That explains why I was confused.

I knew that wine by the bottle would have a charge attached, but was surprised that the review implied a surcharge for "top shelf" liquor. I've always been able to get Tanqueray, Bombay Saphire, Absolut, Drambuie, B&B, and Frangelico included at no extra charge.

I love this forum. You can always get good info from posters who know what they are talking about. Thanks again guys (or gals).

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

It's not always easy to find these things on websites.

For BBB, you'll see this:

"All Barceló Bávaro Beach hotel customers will have access to the services of the Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe, except for the Kyoto and La comedie restaurants (available for a supplement and by prior booking. Services included for Club Premium guests)."

Note the phrase, "available for supplement"...

That can be found at the bottom of this page on their website:

barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en_GB/hotels/Domin…

Some resorts do charge for top shelf liquor options. Not sure what the law of the land is at BBB. We are headed there next week, so I see what I can find out (I'm not a liquor "snob", I drink what ever they have).

Happy travels.

Edited: 5:48 am, February 12, 2013
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

Barcelo Bavaro has a pretty decent selection of "imported" liquors. In addition to the included domestic and imported liquors, they carry a selection of higher-end ($$) liquors that are not included for the $100/pp/night 54oz-Bubby-Keg swilling crowd .. makes sense to me (-;

Southgate
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach - charge for top shelf liquor?

Does anyone know if they have Captain Morgans?