We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, UK
Level Contributor
279 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

Just back from Ocean Blue and loved it and would love to go again but we like to try different places.

Tricky decision for next January's holiday.

Do we stick with what we really enjoyed or save it for another year and try Dreams in La Romana?

Would be interested in views and opinions?

Thanks

Steve (aka BathRugbyMan)

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

Thats a tough one. Personally we return to the same resort every year. We do so because we already know the property and staff so we bascially unpack and start relaxing right away. I have read very good things about Dreams in La Romana. Good luck choosing.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
279 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

Thanks for that and I see the positives on both options. I will keep scratching my head and see what way I lean!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

Dreams LR is a very nice resort but it is a long drive from the PC airport and you do not have the long stretch of white sand beach you do in Punta Cana. In fact there is a very small beach area only on one side of the resort.

We did it one year and even though it was a great resort for us and we loved it, because of these two reasons we didn't return.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

I feel same as sackie lovely hotel did not like the beach,but the sea wow and if you like snorkelling great it's got a lot of things going for it and there is lot of people who like the beach I am going to ocean blue the middle of feb so I will be able to compare it then.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

I think some of the new road is open now so the journey should be shorter now.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
279 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

Thanks Gristle and Sackie.

(I hope you love Ocean Blue as much as we did). The beach is pretty good but is suffering from some erosion which is a shame but still lovely. Walking the beach in both directions was a lovely experience.

We do like snorkeling off the beach so that is a plus for us.

We've not stayed at a Dreams before so may lean towards that for January 2014 this time and then keep a return trip to Ocean Blue for September 2014.

Gristle ...... see if you can get Room 8302 or 9302 (if you like a top floor room) as they have huge balconies, no one below you and both have lovely outlooks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

Thanks for that Steve have already asked for block 8 top floor might try for that room if I can,the dreams la romana has lovely pools one is affinity,if you are eating about 7pm the al a carts are easy to get in the French was my favourite the hotel on the whole I loved it,as I said snorkelling the other side of the pier was great lots of fish all colours spent an hour there every day very peaceful ,if it was the right price I would go back.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

I agree with Gristle the French a la carte was our fav too. And I would say the a la cartes at Dreams LR is where we had some iof the best food we have had at an AI. There are dishes we had there that we still remember 4 years later. We have done 2 Dreams resorts now and they both had the best food.

If you can look at the Perferred Club.

Avon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
395 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

My husband and I stayed in the preferred club at Dreams last April and loved it. (The preferred club bar at the pool was great!) The ocean was wonderful and there were many people who took advantage of the snorkeling from shore. We are not beach walkers, so the shorter beach didn't bother us at all. One side is anchored with a jungle. The other side does connect to the public beach and the town of Bayahibe which many people like to take a walk to to see and experience. We liked the fact that we didn't need reservations for dinner so that we could go any time that we wanted. It truly is a great place!

Good luck!

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Blue and Sand vs. Dreams La Romana

We loved Dreams La Romana. If we return to the DR, it will definitely be to that resort. Great meals in all the restuarants. We loved the French, Italian, Japanese, Oceana. Gala night at the buffet.

We flew into La Romana, a quick 15 min trip to the resort and a wonderful, easy, no hassle airport. The new road is open to Punta Cana, so that trip is now 45 minutes I believe.