We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

If anyone has aany questions, fire away. I enjoyed my stay, weather was great, beach great, food good. what more could you ask for.

Independence, Oregon
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

This is good to hear. The reviews are a bit scary.

The lobby has free wifi, correct? Just thinking about the best/cheapest way to call/facetime home.

ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

You have to pay for the wifi. $25 for 24 hours. which you sign in then sign out. I only used 5 hrs. I just used the wifi for facebook messages and google talk. The wifi works in your room and the lobby. sometimes around the pool. Wifi is the cheapest way to saty in contact with home.

No need to be worried about this hotel. food is good to great. We flew air transat and had 5 a lacarts. Steak house, Itialian, Mexican and Oriental.

We went to the Steak house twice. The rooms are basic. If you can get building 26 room 105 that would be great. The beach was not even 5 feet from our patio. We had a pugged sink and then the toilet wouldnt flush, maintance was there both times within 15 minutes and fixed it.

ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

There is beach venders 15 minutes to your right on the beach. And to your left approx 30 minutes. The Coffee they serve is very, hummmmm gross in my opion, however you can get cappacinos or espresso in the buffet and lobby.

ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

We went on the Bavaro Runners excursion. it was informative. $90 pp the tour is from 8-5. We also took a taxi into Playa Real which is a very high end shopping mall, with all the designer clothes and bags, jewellery. also there is a Hard Rock Cafe there. The taxi each way is $16

Independence, Oregon
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

Thank you for all the information! Keep it coming as you think of things!

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

We're booked there for ten days beginning February 5th, and booked the Royal Club . . . any reviews on that?

ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

GoalPoster

I did not stay at the Royal Club section. But from what I understand wifi and safes are included. There is also a seperate section on the beach for the Royal Club. Air Transat had seperate beach with beach bar service.

ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

The Guys at the entrance to your building are timeshare people. They actually wear beige pants and white shirts.... I think. Stay away...lol

Edited: 2:51 pm, January 23, 2013
Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

Very good info . . . if they approach, I'll set my own hair on fire to get away!!!!

The Mrs. says she wants to get her nails done when we're down there. Is there a salon on site that you know of?

ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Occidental Grand 01/21/13

GoalPoster.

Yes there is a spa/salon. The prices are pretty close to what we pay here.

I do not remember the exact prices.