We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican Republic Time

Baltimore
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Dominican Republic Time

I have read in so many reviews that people were frustrated or annoyed because the service is slow on the resorts in the DR. If you have never been to a Caribbean Island, then you probably would be frustrated. But, that is the way of life down there. I have never been to the DR, but I have been to Puerto Rico and the Bahamas. In Puerto Rico, when someone told you they would be somewhere at 8 am, we learned to not expect them until AT LEAST 8:30 - 9:00. These are not fast paced countries like the US. 5 minutes to them is more like 15 minutes..You are ON VACATION....where in the world could you possibly be in a hurry to go? Most restaurants in the States rush you through the courses to have quick table turn over....I can't imagine that this is the case at a resort in DR. They let you savour your meal and enjoy the company and dinner. I will get off of my soap box now...I just get tired of hearing about how slow the service is....you are on vacation...and you are in another country...sit back and relax, and enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Harrison, Maine
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican Republic Time

Their time works better for me. I am almost always late!!

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
961 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican Republic Time

I agree with you msravenfan. The laid back and no hurry atmosphere is part of what I love about the Caribbean, and your right, it's that way at all the Caribbean islands.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
wr
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican Republic Time

you are absolutely right,

to me the laid back way of life is a big part of the charm. the entire latin culture is similar and when you throw in the caribbean aspect found in the dr there is no hope for things to be done punctually.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican Republic Time

This is the reason everyone goes on vacation right!!!!!!

TO RELAX AND UNWIND...................... Dominican Republic time is perfect for me. I live a very fast passed hectic life like most of us do,and when I am on vacation I try and take the same attitude as everyone there....

IT WILL GET DONE...JUST RELAX....AND GO WITH THE FLOW....

I am sure if you checked the national averages on life expectancy you would find that these cultures live longer..........Smart we could all learn a lesson and

SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW D

O

W

N

I sure would not want to be on a vacation were everyone was rushing about. I would come back more stressed then when I left..........

Great post

Terry aka SB

Mentioned in this post
Loveland
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican Republic Time

Hi Raven! Stay on your soap box because you are absolutely right!!!! We all need to just "chill" and learn to go at a slower pace on vacations!!! It would do most of us some good to practice it here in the States too!!!!! Thank you for setting everyone straight!!!

love

wr
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominican Republic Time

it is great when you are on vacation but if you are doing business in latin america or need things done right away it can be aggravating. people wonder why succesful latinos can be overbearing with service industry employees but that is what you need to do to get things done. on vacation i dont care but the manana attitude can get old pretty quickly when you are used to getting things done promptly in north america