We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

My husband and I are Mayan Riviera veterans. We have been 8 times and stayed at multiple resorts: Moon Palace, Excellence PM, Valentin Imperial Maya, Royal PDC, Excellence RC, and Secrets Maroma Beach. We like larger AI Addult-Only resorts where we don't have to eat at the same restaurants (or see the same people), over and over again. We like a nice large pool with lots of shade and good beach. Food doesn't have to be spectacular, just good enough that we don't starve. Service needs to be good...I like to feel pampered for at least one week out of the year :-).

Just started exploring expanding our horizons and possibly taking a trip tp Punta Cana this May. Interested in some advice on a good resort that isn't more than 30-45 minutes from the airport. Any advice would be appreciated!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

Those are some very nice resorts you've stayed at in the Mayan Riviera. In Punta Cana, there are fewer adult only resorts at or approaching that calibre. I think these would be Excellence Punta Cana, Secrets Royal Beach, Iberostar Grand Bavaro, Paradisus Palma Real (Royal Service), and Royal Suites Turquesa.

Only Excellence is completely adult only. The others are adult only sections of larger resort complexes, where you have access to the restaurants and facilities in the family sections as well. Excellence has almost exactly the same dining options as the ones in Mexico. The others typically have from 2 to 5 adult only restaurants, with additional restaurants in the family sections.

Unlike Secrets Maroma Beach, Secrets Royal Beach has 3 a la carte restaurants and a buffet.

Paradisus recently added a new restaurant (costs extra) by a 7 diamond Michelin rated chef. I haven't been since that restaurant opened, but I hear it's quite good.

They all have nice beaches. The sea is rougher at Excellence. Excellence is further from the airport (50 to 60 minutes), so that may be off your list. It's the largest adult only, and Iberostar Grand Bavaro is the smallest, but when you include the other resorts in the complex, it's quite large. All but Excellence are within your distance range.

Mark

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

You will certainly get pampered at Iberostar Grand and you can use the facilities next door at the 3 other Iberostars. Only 30 minutes from the airport. The beach is great, lots of chairs and very swimmable conditions.

Good luck.

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

Let me know what you decide! My husband and I have been to some of the same incredible resorts in Mexico, yet are looking into excellence punta cana this time. It's so hard to figure it all out!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

Of the resorts you've been to in the Mayan, we've only been to the Valentin and we really liked it. In Punta Cana, we've been to both the Iberostar Grand Bavaro and the Gran Bahia Ambar and loved both. Just to mention that although they are adults-only sections within a family complex - you can either choose to stay just at these resorts as they have everything you'll need as far as restaurants, pools, entertainment, gym/spa etc. We did decide to go over to the family sections a few times at both reorts to try some of their a la cartes and honestly, never found many kids were at them because either we ate later (when kids are usually sleeping) and/or I find families prefer buffet restaurants to a la cartes. Also, the buffet restaurants at both the Iberostar Grand and Ambar are amazing. Good luck!

Edited: 6:20 pm, January 13, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

Regarding post #1, I believe that Punta Cana Princess and Catalonia Royal Bavaro are both smaller than the Iberostar Grand Bavaro.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

Thanks momluvstorun. I was talking about the ones I mentioned as somewhat comparable to the resorts they've been to in the Mayan Riviera, and what they are looking for.

They actually want larger, so I narrowed the list accordingly.

Mark

murillo
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

Excellence is a smaller resort and more than a 45 min ride...Barcelo Bavaro Palace , Palladium , Bahia , IBG , Paradisus. Hard Rock

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

Based on tripadvisor reviews and the information I received through my travel agent, I decided to book my first trip to Punta Cana at Iberostar Grand (I'm going in Nov). I did a lot of research and found that Iberostar Grand was going to be the best fit for us (it allows us to have the adults only experience I wanted, but also allows us to go to restaurants, shows and/or bars/disco's at one of the other Iberostar resorts if we want to). Iberostar Grand is currently ranked the number 1 resort in Punta Cana by tripadvisor.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
353 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

Royal Suites Turquesa

Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Adult Only All Inclusive Recs

I have been researching DR and mayan riviera soooo much trying to decide on where to go!! I think I'm going to book vim because it generally has good reviews and is budget friendly! We're u happy at vim?? Seems we have similar priorities and I have considered all the resorts you have been to!!

Edited: 9:35 pm, February 06, 2013