We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

NH
Level Contributor
91 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

I know I probably shouldn't be reading reviews since I've already booked a trip to Melia and leave in 5 wks but...I can't help myself. The reviews for Melia are not good lately and I'm seriously starting to question my decision :( Almost seems like the negative reviews are real and the positive ones are fake. Anyone else ever feel like this?

Ugggh

Sun Prairie...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

Aha! I did the same thing about my upcoming trip to the Barcelo Punta Cana... It had relatively good reviews and the price was right... but then I started reading more and thought... OH NO, must change hotels! Spend more money!

But, I talked myself off the ledge... remember it's your vacation. It might not all go perfectly. But go in with a good attitude, be polite and positive. If you treat the staff well and ask NICELY for things you need, you should be treated well in return. Tip the maid the first day and you should be stocked with towels and water... smile alot and enjoy yourself, regardless of what "goes wrong".

And regardless of where you're staying, if you're in Punta Cana, the weather and scenery should be great!

Sun Prairie...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

And one more thing... about the reviews. I hear ya on the "fake good reviews"... it always sends up a red flag to me when the review mentions a worker by first and last name and says how great they are in broken english. LOL.

I honestly believe that for every negative review, there are AT LEAST 10 people who didn't have any problems. People are more likely to spread negative news than praise for good service. And many of those people are the type that are unable to handle difficult situations with grace; ones who let one minor problem snowball into an entire negative experience.

Just my thoughts on the situation. I hope you have a great time!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

Depends on your expectations.

If you are the type that wants everything to be perfect, the bad reviews may paint a more realistic expectation.

If you are the type that can accept things may not be perfect, the bad reviews may not be realistic.

My wife and I go and expect nothing but a fantastic time. We don't let the little things bother us:

1. If we see bugs in our room...... no biggie, bugs are expected in the tropics too.

2. If our drink doesn't have enough alcohol...... no biggie, ask for more.

3. If the food isn't 5-star world class cuisine.... no biggie, all inclusives are typically budget vacations, we expect standard buffet food quality.

4. If the rooms are a little run down..... no biggie, we don't spend much time in the room anyway.

Etc, etc, etc...... expectations.

Oh, and, don't expect to get special service, or better service, with a tip (as was posted above). Tipping will not get you better service. Only tip for good service received.

Edited: 10:57 am, January 02, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

Melia is a good all purpose resort. I would say the service is generally adequate, but not great. I don't go there expecting the kind of service you get at Excellence, Secrets, Iberostar Grand, Paradisus, etc. But I have been there 4 times, and liked it.

Mark

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

Don't worry about reviews. Just use reviews to pick up tips.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

I hear ya! We are going there for the first time in 8 weeks and I am a bit nervous also of these recent reviews. That being said, I am going to stick with it as we've had personal friends who went and really liked it and I don't want to spend any money to change my trip so I'm only going to read the 4 and 5 star reviews from now on. Hope it all works out for you!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

Great reply, fan1080! This is how we approach AI vacations as well (in the DR and elsewhere) and we never fail to enjoy ourselves. I'm astounded by the things people complain about sometimes!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
629 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

With reviews you have to read between the lines but if the same issues keep coming up over and over I would believe they are legitimate issues and be concerned.

NH
Level Contributor
91 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

Thanks everyone for the comments. I know I have to go with an open mind, relax and not sweat the small stuff. I think the anticipation is the worst. I'm sure once I get there I will be fine.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reading Reviews....and getting nervous

I am going to the Melia soon as well! I am getting the same 'nerves' about my choice! And I planned the trip for 5 other couples! GULP