We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Topic
Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

Hi,

I'm thinking about going to Dominican Republic in February or March.

I'm in a manual wheelchair and need a wheelchair accessible room with spacious bathroom (at least some free space beside the toilet for the wheelchair) and a roll-in-shower. Since all Swedish travel agencies are completely useless when it comes to providing accurate information - I'm turning to you guys here at Tripadvisor, hoping for some help...

I would like to stay in a five or four star all inclusive hotel close to the beach. We're three friends traveling together, 25-30 years old. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Riu Palace Bavaro (figured that the fact its newly built should mean good access, but you never know...) Do you know anything about wheelchair access at any of the resorts in Punta Cana? Do you know if you can rent beach wheelchairs to go into the ocean, or if any hotels have them (I read something about Iberostar having one)?

I can move to a regular taxi with some difficulties and is therefore trying to minimize the number of taxi trips. Are there any hotel that is closer to the "city centre" than others? Is beach access better at some resorts?

Please help me ;)

Best regards,

Rebecca

ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

I am sorry that I don't know the answers to any of your questions. However, we spent last week at the Riu Palace Punta Cana and I did notice there were at least two guests there in wheel chairs. You might want to contact the resort directly?

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

I noticed several guests at The Iberistar resorts over the years including some who appeared to have more limited mobility then you describe. You might check there too

Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
674 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

Rebecca,

I did a booking for a relative who is visually impaired and we booked the Majestic Elegance club section. The reasons were that everthing was on one level ie. restaurants and bars as well as his room and the main lobby.

I also accompanied him and he had no issues. It is a small resort and the entry way and rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors are accrssible by elevator.

The only thing that might preclude this resort is a wheelchair accessible room. Maybe somebody else would answer that or email the resort directly but everything is located on one level and is accessible.

Steve

Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
674 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

Rebecca

What I mean by entry way is where one got off the bus from the airport and the check in area which sits one story above the main level of the resort.

Just wanted to clarify a bit.

Steve

FL
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

For wheelchair adapted Bus transportation you can take a look at this link

dominicanairporttransfers.com/info/wheelchai…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

Everything I have heard is Iberostar Bavaro is your best choice. They've really taken care of their less than mobile guests. They even have a dedicated spot on the beach right in the first line of palapas. Catalonia Royal is also very wheel chair friendly but their special beach ramp doesn't reach near the shore and they don't have a special beach wheelchair like they do at Iberostar which would be such a nice treat for folks who are bound to a wheel chair. I would imagine the rest of the Iberostar resort would be set up to accommodate you. I've never been there so can't help further. Might be worth contacting the resort.

Seminole, Florida
Level Contributor
616 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

It isn't in Punta Cana, but the Excellence Rivierea Cancun in Mexico has a wheelchair ramp into one of their pools. That is the first time I've ever seen that accomodation and thought it a wonderful idea. There were several wheel chair guests at the resort.the time we were there. Since Excellence has a resort in Punt Cana, they may have the same accomodation, but I am not sure.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

Rebecca:

The Gran Bahia Principe Ambar property is completely barrier-free and readily accessible even down to the beach! And it is adult-only!

A simple email prior to arrival will ensure you receive one of the ground floor 'handicapped' rooms.

Hope this helps!

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

Thank you all very much!

I've been in contact with both Iberostar Grand Bavaro and Iberostar Bavaro and hopefully one of the accessible rooms there will meet my needs.

Does anyone know if there is a ramp down to the pool at Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Iberostar Bavaro? Like a zero-entry? (i.e. no steps...)

Best regards,

Rebecca

Edited: 5:14 pm, January 03, 2013
K D
Sammamish...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wheelchair Access - hotel rooms, transportation, beaches etc

how'd your trip workout? I'm planning a trip next month & would love any tips from a fellow wheelchair traveler.