We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Condo

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
241 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Condo

Instead of staying at an All-Inclusive for a week, My husband just retired Nov 1st so we are renting a condo for a whole month. We are staying at the Grundwalt 3 community in the town of El Cortecito. This is my first time doing this so if anyone else does this can you please give me any advice about water, electric bills, resturants in the area. Anything can be useful

Thanks

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
241 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Condo

Anyone Please.... There are so many people who rent condo's and are Snowbirds.... I hope to do this every year now and really could use some advice. When and where should I exchange my money. How much should I exchange. How can I get the water kegs to my condo Does anyone know of a service that does this and how much it cost?

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Condo

Avoid using the air con to much if you can as it will knock your electric bill up a lot, water bottles usually if you let the security or gardners at the condo know they'll gladly replace it for you, about 50/60 pesos and a tip for them, plaza el Dorado is close to you with a small but good supermarket, bar and restaraunt, pulpo cojo restaraunt is a nice place to spend your beach days and chill out by the bar, for a little dominican flavour try poseda De Gladys for a bit of dominican food or enjoy a cold beer just next to the barcelo hotel. The cortecito area has some shops and some places to eat and drink also and a few chilled out bars dotted along the beach, los corales around the corner of plaza el Dorado has a couple of nice restaraunts, nice area in my opinion hope you have a great time.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Condo

When the property manager of the place shows you around, ask where the power meter is located. Then you can keep track of the power yourself - seeing how much it does cost to run the AC. In my place, it is around $2 for my one bedroom unit for an overnight (10 hours), but running the washer and dryer (for an hour) was also around $2. I'd use 14 pesos per kwh for my calculations. You can also keep an eye out for the water truck yourself and buy the water for 30 pesos, it was 25, but it just went up in price. Plus, there are a couple of produce trucks that drive through the neighbour too, sometimes the produce is a bit more expensive than the store, but fresher, and they can have a good selection. There is an money exchange across the street from Gladys, these smaller ones are a better rate. I have a Scotiabank card so I go to the ATM there and don't have to pay service fees. I think Bank of America is the same.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Condo

Am I reading this correctly, you use your ac 10 hours per night every night for a month and it costs you just over 2000 pesos??? Ill need to check my electric bill to see my usage but that seems awfully low to me. The cheapest bill I've ever had was 1400 never using the air and with a gas cooker and being out of the apt 10 hours a day.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
241 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a Condo

Thank you all so much I am going to print this out and take it with me. I appreciate all you have said and all your advice. An yother thoughts please feel free to share.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
241 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a Condo

O.k so I figured that 2000 pesos is around 48 dollars american. Is that true and if so is that for the whole month I alotted in my budget about 100$ for the electric bill Do you think I will need more or less. If there is screans on the windows etc.. I plan on using the nice ocean breezes to help cool down the condo.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a Condo

What month are you going? I have a condo in Grunwald 2 for the week of Feb 16 thru the 23.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a Condo

Personally I would say $100 should be OK with running the ac for about an hour or so every night

Edmonton
Level Contributor
151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a Condo

I did not say I ran the AC every night, but to see how much it would cost, that was what it was. Mine might be more efficient than others possibly, or my space is smaller. I usually run the AC a hour before bed and then maybe early in the morning for another hour, then with the big fridge I have plus doing laundry, my electric bill in the summer was at the most $90.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
241 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a Condo

Thanks for your replies I will be there jan2 to the 31 st...