We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, NL
Level Contributor
3 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

Two years ago we spent a glorious 2 week vacation at Secrets Excellence. The only downer- and it was a big one -- was when the sun went down the millions of swarming mosquitos attacked us and kept us indoors every night.

Even though we sprayed each other every night and quickly ran to the enclosed restaurants, I counted over 70 bites on just my legs.. Given the malaria scares this makes us very nervous and really ruined the evenings for us as we could never enjoy the beautiful property or evening air or enterainment after dark.

Please advise if this problem has been resolved.

Stinky New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

I think you encounter love bites from your mate....Secrets is known to be a romantic resort.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

GoodFood..what time of year did you go?? We are thinking of going in August and I have been wondering about the 'mossies' as well. We were in Cuba last summer and they seemed to favour biting the more fair skinned folk.

Beverly, MA
Level Contributor
558 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

Just back from Secrets. Not one mosquito bite. I did get a few sand flea bites one night but as soon as I put on a little spray they stopped biting. I never used the spray after that and we were outside every night. I did meet a few people who seemed to get hit pretty hard. I'm not sure why some got bit and others did not but that is what I have read here in the past as well. I would load up on spray at night to be safe, especially legs and ankles.

PlayaBoy

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

My husband and I and another couple were at Secrets in January. We were roaming the resort way after dark. We packed bug spray containing 100% deet...did not use it. The men received no bites. My friend and I received a few sand flea bites...our own fault...should have used the bug spray. I honestly only saw 2 mosquitos.

I hate bugs. If bugs were an issue at Secrets, my husband and I would not have schedule another trip back for November of this year.

Brenda :~)

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

We just got back from Secrets in March. No mosquito problems, just sand fleas and it was my own fault (forgot to apply spray after shower before dinner and went down to the lagoon to pet the bunnies). Use spray and you'll be fine.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

As much as I love Secrets, I was attacked both stays in January and April..

My husband usually doesn't get any bites, but he did have a few as well

Take bug spray and apply generously. We did and we still got bitten. Got the worst bites the one time we didn't spray..

Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

You sure the bites were mosquitoes and not sand fleas?

I've had lots of the sand flea bites on past trips. I read on one of these posts that they are worse at dusk; if you plan to be out on the beach at this time you should put oil such as skin so soft on your legs and feet as they will not come after you then. I tried this and did not receive a single bite the whole week I was in PC in early April. I brought Skintastic Off and used it in the a.m. when I went to watch the sunrise as a precaution; again not a single bite.

My advice would be to have these things on hand and use them as needed in the early a.m. or at dusk.

Northern N>J>
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

My husband and I returned home Saturday from SEPC. Everyday we liberally applied OFF before going to the beach...reapplied several times during the day....and reapplied after showering and going out in the evening. I have over 100 bites on my arms and legs, and my husband about 50. We also take Vitamin B......Nothing helped us. Be certain to also bring Cortisone cream and Benadryl. Good Luck!

Cleveland
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

My fiance' and I are going to SEPC on May 15th for 10 days. I have read that if you take the vitamin B1 tablets for a week before you go and while you are there you should be ok. I bought the tablets and plan on starting them next week. I also bought skintastic, so I hope we have no problems.

Toronto
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos at Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana???

I agree with previous reports - take vitamin B - before and during. don't know if it works, but it doesn't hurt. Also pack some Off with DEET and use it! The wost offenders are the sand fleas. I have seen some pretty eaten up legs. even with the spray I have a few bites. Mosquitos are around, especially after the rain. But for the most part it is so breezy that they are not a problem. We did have some ants in our room, but sprayed and that seems to have taken care of them.