We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

What a shocker!

We arrived at the Blau Natura Park on October 20th, had a great day in the pool on the Sunday, went down to it the next morning for a day of sun and wow! It was taped off with caution tape and completely drained! They also shut down the only bar down there, the pool restaurant, and the bathrooms, now the beach people had to go to the lobby or their rooms to use the washrooms!

After asking around to see how long it would be, getting answers of 3 days, 7 days, 14 days(!!!), up to the lobby we went to get a real answer. Of course they claimed to know nothing of it and after asking if we could at least be bussed to another resort during the day to enjoy a pool, the management came back with an offer of compensation......

-lobster dinner ( we don't eat lobster)

-bottle of rum ( um, yeah)

-late checkout ( didn't need that)

-5 hours free internet (worth a whopping 5 dollars)

Management couldn't offer anything else so off to our WestJet rep to get moved to another resort. That took two days and we ended up in a much lower class of resort for the rest of our 10 day vacation.

Well, it did have a pool with actual water in it though.

We later heard the pool was going to be closed for a month! Hopefully they are letting people know before arriving so they can decide if they want to move or not.

This is low season and maintenance is expected but geez, the one and only pool???? And this was definately a scheduled project, not a sudden problem. They were using pickaxes to bust up the concrete, removing tiles and lighting....a really big job with a big crew working on it!

Edited: 12:28 pm, October 31, 2012
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

I agree, that's certainly something that should be communicated to travellers so they can decide if not having access to a pool is acceptable.

Low season is the right time to be doing this kind of maintenance.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

It would be interesting to know if they had informed your tour operator, WestJet, about the work

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

Boy those reviews will be ugly... and deservedly so.

I know maintenance has to happen but for the front desk to be "clueless" and to provide basically NOTHING in compensation. Just not acceptable IMHO>

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

Yeah, I wonder if that was scheduled maintenance, or if it was an emergency situation.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

blueindy,

That is unacceptable.

As "flip" has stated, it would be beneficial to know if "Westjet Vacations" was informed of this shut down of facilities prior to your arrival and did not communicate anything to it's guests.

This certainly sounds like a reason for a form of compensation from the resort, over and above what you have mentioned and perhaps by Westjet Vacations as well.

Have seen this happen at a resort in the Mayan, but it was an emergency situation where the only pool available had collapsed and guests were bused to a beach miles noeth of the resort and bused back much later in the day - not a good situation whatsoever.

I do hope you do obtain the facts with respect to Westjet Vacations and certainly persue it with them.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

Where did you get moved to? I wonder if WJ was taken by surprise as well? They are usually excellent to deal with in situations like this.

Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

Our West Jet rep claimed he had no idea what was happening with their pool. He mentioned he had better see about redirecting his next flight of people staying there. I have no idea if he did or not.

The guest service man said it was a sudden problem but it obviously was not.

At first, our rep mentioned another resort under his care, the Barcelo Palace. Then he asked how much we could pay for the administration fees it would take to move there. I asked, "well, how much does it cost? And why if this is a monetary option, why isn't it a set rate?" He said if it wasn't a zero amount it might be between 275 to 350 for the fees.

I'm thinking he was wishing for a cash transaction here.

Anyways, later we decided to just pay to go there, up to a budget of 300 each but when we called him he said we were already placed at the Vik Arena Blanca for free. I knew this was a step down from the Blau,( little did I know how much till we got there, but that's another story and review.)

Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

Margadagio, West Jet did come through for us, we were handed over to Heather and she was so on our side!

Price wise the Vik was around the same, but not near as nice as the Blau in any way. Not somewhere I would ever choose for a vacation. But they just went by price I suppose.

It's funny, while at the Vik we saw groups of what seemed like tour reps being toured around the grounds. They had clipboards, etc.... They were ALWAYS shown the rooms in building 4, which were all completely renovated ( we actually saw 6 rooms before staying in one that didn't smell like sewage and mold with dumpster furniture but again, that is another review), so we knew what the rooms in different buildings looked like.

I believe the reps are only shown the best parts of resorts and don't even know what they are sending people into to. Could this be right? It would explain why we were sent there.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

Actually they go by their star rating and Natura Park and Vik are the same rating. The fee was probably to upgrade you to a better rated resort.

Over our travels we have come to realise that most Tour reps are simply there to sell their location tours. Most times when I have gone to ask questions they don't have the answers. They have to call someone to find out themselves.

Because I do my research I have even overheard some reps give out false info; things like telling someone they have unlimited a la carte bookings when they really don't; or telling them the resort has international drinks through out the complex when in fact they don't. Think sometimes they just tell the client what they think they want to hear.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Woke up on our second day....pool was drained!

I would message and let WJ know your feelings. Tell them what you wrote here.

Here is their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/westjet?fref=ts

I would also call them and voice your displeasure, letting them know all that transpired and the conditions of the hotel where you were placed.