We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I wish I knew this before I left.....

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
I wish I knew this before I left.....

Leaving this Sunday 11/4 for five nights at Majestic Elegance Club level. First trip to Punta Cana...first trip out of the U.S.

I'm pretty nervous since I hate to fly, and it's a new place.

What is one thing you wish you knew about DR/PC before you left? Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Majestic Elegance Punta Cana
Majestic Elegance Punta...
16,808 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

You'll wish you'd found the place years ago, have a fabulous time in a very very nice resort

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

Caylismom

Let me echo the previous posters remarks - that is so true, but then on the other hand, without having been to other countries beforehand, I would not have been able to compare.

Let me add this - I wish I knew on my first trip to Punta Cana, that Bubba Kegs are not sold in there !! LOL

It is such a beautiful country, filled with such wonderful, friendly people, I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we have.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

There are only a few things that I realized (apart from that I should have started taking vacations there much much earlier :)

- That I really did not need my own beach towel

- That sunscreen is very expensive in the resorts

- That l do not like DR tea and bring my own

- That i really needed the anti mosquito Deet (and the anti itching stuff for when you di get bitten)

- That I was glad that I did pack that pretty dress and heels :)

Enjoy!

Deer Lake
Level Contributor
234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

All Inclusive means the same all week long... I wish I did not over indulge in beverages the first day of my first trip

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

Totally agree with post # 1

I left the trip in the hands of a travel agent in 2006 and now we are booked for our 7th visit!

So addictive!!

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
174 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

I wish we would of started years ago as well...we love all Inclusive Resorts...we have been going to Punta Cana now for the last 8 years.....the last 3 years we have been Booking for 2 weeks...its way cheeper...this year we booked for 2 weeks @ Carabela Beach Resort....the best so far was...Natura Park Resort...and Barcelo Punta cana Resort.....have a wonderful vacation yours truly Ron & Heather...Shediac N.B. Canada

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Barcelo Bavaro Palace
Barcelo Bavaro Palace
16,573 Reviews
Dominican Republic
N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

Agree with post #1.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,700 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

All of the above ;-)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

You will wish you could be there longer than 5 days.....

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I wish I knew this before I left.....

You really don't need all the clothes you think you will need. Don't forget you are in your bathing suit all day. Mix and match is the way to go. Pack one or two pairs of long pants for men. Closed toe shoes for men also.

3 bathing suits, sometimes they don't dry very well with the humidity

Bring your own little first aid stuff,, Advil,band aids,ointment,polysporin eye drops,

Insulated travel mug 20oz is good for starters

Your ipod and camera are safe on the beach in your bag by your chair

Pay to reserve your seat on the return portion of your trip. The shuttle always seems to get you there last minute and that way you don't stress if you are the last one off the bus

No liquids or gels in carry on at all on the way back....don't even try, they will take your best hand cream etc

If you bought a pre packaged vacation, one member of your travel party can wait for the bags , the other member can line up at the your respective tour operator's kiosk before the main exit to get the documentation and find out where the shuttle is parked....don't just get the bus number, ask where the bus is parked...the parking lot is a sea of busses!

Flip flops packed in the carry on, to change into just before you land...there is something to be said about cooooool feet

If you have to use the bathroom on the plane, arrange to do so about an hour before you land, otherwise there is a huge line-up of people not wanting to pee but wanting to change into teir tropical outfits. Be smart wear yours underneath,

Mix and match suitcase contents if possible, not the usual his and hers, cuz if hers goes missing, his won't help you.

Bring small denomination USD bills for tips, sometimes they are hard to find when you just get there.

Sometimes paying in pesos works out to way less at markets

Buy coffee, rum and vanilla at a grocery store, not the hotel gift shop

No hassle fixed pricing is such a refreshing way to shop in PC. Cussie boutique, Los Pinos plaza and the grocery store in el Cortecito are all examples of this.

Long distance phone cards are a must if calling home...you can get them all over the place....do not use the direct dial method with a credit card....it is a rip off......

Out of everything I wrote the last one should have been in capitals.