We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

My husband and I arrived at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar on Friday 12 October for our two weeks holiday. Saturday we ate in the buffet for breakfast and lunch and then the Don Pablo for dinner. By Sunday morning we were both extremely unwell with sickness, diarrhea, stomach cramps with a fever and headache later on. We were room bound all of Sunday. Initial thoughts were food poisoning from the Don Pablo but we did have different foods, I had lobster and my husband had the fillet mignon although I did have a small piece of this. Thre has obviously been a cross contaminiation somewhere. On Monday we started eating light in the buffet for breakfast and lunch but cancelled the dinner reservations we had for the next two nights as we really did not feel like or trust another ala carte meal. We thought we were both getting better although a week on and my husband is again room bound today - whatever it is seems to be coming back. I am not 100% but not as bad as him. Today I have reported this to our rep and also found the couple in front to be complaining of the same illness and also the couple after me. Also around the hotel they are no longer pouring water from the jugs but have changed to bottles and all the self service water and coke machines have been removed from the pool bar and beach bar. We did report the illness to guest services and asked if anyone else had reported the same. We were told no. When asking a few days later about the water jugs changing to bottled water we were advised the jugs were a probationary thing but the manager wanted to changed to pouring from bottles - basically we were fobbed off. We have also noticed they are disinfecting handrails, seats etc. which we are sure they weren´t doing early on in our holiday. At least our rep told us that they had tested the water and all was ok but as a precaution they are using bottled water. We are really worried there is more to it and it is being covered up. If there is some sort of contamination in the hotel, the guests, paticularly those suffering from illness need to know. Yes Ambar is a five star hotel and all health and safety measures are followed but something has gone wrong somewhere. They owe a standard of care to the guests.

Is anyone else at the Ambar and unwell?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

were the other people in front of you from the UK also?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

Their increased cleaning standards, or maybe it's their standard practice, could be in reaction to reported illness, but no one really knows unless management where to come here and report it, which I doubt will happen.

It's a good thing to see these extra cleaning actions going on. Shows they care for guest health and safety.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

Sounds like a virus has possibly got into the complex. These Hotels run similar to Cruise Ships and it only takes one guest to come in with a Bug and it can hit alot of people even in the best places.

I know they are very paranoid about it as you always have to use Gel before going into the Food places, even the Snack Bars. I take antibiotics with me than will kill Salmonella, Ecoli and Shigella if necessary but I doubt most guest do.

You can get some from Chemists in the DR, but mine are from Egypt - they should know what you need.

Worth it if you don't want your Holiday ruined. We have been to the DR 14 times (Ambar Twice) and never really had anything worse than a Hangover, but it does happen and often it's from other guests, not the Hotel.

My biggest problem is catching Colds from others when on holiday - seem to get one 50% of the time nowadays!

snooks

Edited: 1:43 pm, October 19, 2012
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

As an FyI....a really bad Gastro-enteritis bug has been circulating in my area. Four of my family (including myself) were struck over the Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. I thought it was food poisoning as well...it took me at least 6 days to bounce back. I was the cook so it was very disconcerting to think I had cross contaminated knowing I was using my lysol wipes to the max when dealing with the Turkey :).

Most likely a virus ......

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

There is another thread current on here 'Live from The Ambar' and it's not mentioned on there.

snooks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

It wasn't food poisoning,because you weren't sick shortly after dinner.I think it was just stomach virus.Accusing Ambar is a litle unfair.Remember you are in tropic (different bacterias).If you eat to much variety of food your stomach can get sick.After all day in the sun and humid it could be a heat stroke.All resorts are "vacations machines" and they try to be the best as posible.(competition)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

waiting for Carolyn to come back and answer question #1

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

when we stayed there 2 yrs ago, at the buffet they served , several times, raw and undercooked food both on the carvery and in hot trayed food. if you have eaten any of that when it was covered in sauce or you did not notice it was raw then im afraid that will give you what ou are discribing. it was one of things i was very aware of at amber as its the only resort ive seen it at.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

We have been twice for a total of 5 weeks in the past two years and ate at several of the Buffets and Restaurants and I would have to say their food preparation was impeccable after 20 visits to the Caribbean - nearly all 4/5*.

They insist guests use alcohol gel when entering all the Food Places and will refuse entry if you won't. The food has always been well cooked and prepared when we have been - that's not to say there can't be lax moments.

I would describe the food as some of the best we have had on any holiday - which is over 40.

Horses for Courses I suppose. They are also Crystal rated which is about as high as you can get for hygiene. I have no reason to protect their image, just passing on what I have experienced there and also the Esmerelda.

snooks

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone else unwell at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar?

We were there 4 years ago and I recall reading about the same type of thing while doing my research prior to choosing Ambar. Upon arrival, I saw hand sanitizer dispensers at all restaurants. We never had any problems at the Ambar.

In my opinion, you need to realize that you are in a tropical country and be smart. Brush your teeth and rinse with bottled water. Don't eat undercooked food. I've got to believe the water they pour from decanters is safe because ice is made from the same water supply and people consume drinks constantly with ice cubes. If there was a problem with the water, the resort would have an epidemic on it's hands.

It seems every time a person gets an upset stomach, the resort is blamed. I guess, in some cases, the complaint could be valid but I really believe, in the vast majority of cases, the cause is viral or could be attributed to airport or airplane food.