We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

darlington
Level Contributor
58 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

Hi

We are travelling from the UK to Punta Cana next May and i didnt realise it at the time i booked but someone has since mentioned we need to take malaria tablets for a total of 4 weeks that can make you ill. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Thanks

Sarah

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

There are several different anti malarials on the market, some one a day, some once a week, some have more side effects than others, some are more suitable for some people based on individual risk factors. The one I took last time didn't have any side effects for me.

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

Your primary health care provider would be the best person to discuss this with.

Bugs

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

Generally no you don't have to but health matters can alter, check with the embassy website or the world health organisation but I've not been aware of any change

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,198 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

Many Brits ask those question, never take advice from people in a public forum.

Consult you doctor as bugs suggested.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

UK I believe does advise anti malarials. Some travel insurance policies are contingent upon following those guidelines, so OP should check with GP.

Spalding, Lincs
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

Hi there

Been to Dom Rep from UK several times. We have always taken anti maleria tabs as advised by our doctor. We take Avloclor - which is readily available from Boots etc. You have to take them for a total of 7 weeks - starting 1 week prior to travel, so assuming you are going for 2 weeks you have to take them for 4 weeks after returning. Its no great hassle really as you only have to take 2 tabs per week both at the same time on the same day each week. We have taken them several times (even the kids when they came with us- children take 1 per week)) and never had any side effects at all. They are quite inexpensive to buy - approx £4 per pack.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

I have been to Punta Cana 6 times and never took malaria pills. Never got sick at all.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

make an appointment with your practice nurse. she will check what injections you might need if you have not travelled over this way on holiday before. once you have all the shots they are good for about 10yrs. the uk advises all travellers to take anti malaria tablets. she will tell you the best ones for you. been taking them for over 7 yrs now and only once did i have a small reaction ( a rash) which stopped when i stopped the tablets. you might need to take them also for any insurence claim because it states that you must have taken all precautions against illness, if you were having to make a claim.

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

As many others have already said, consult your doctor and also read your insurance policie to see if converage requires it or not. Than make your own decision.

You will get all sorts of personal experience on here, which is just that, someone else personal experience (not yours, neither a professional advice...).

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria Tablets in Punta Cana??

only your Doctor can advise you on what is necessary and what is suitable to You, as the same may not be suitable for an other Traveler.

and in case of sideeffects keep in mind what are your usual Vacation behaviors/preferences, for example some Malaria Meds state on their Bypack very clear that you should not be out in the Full Sun nor drink alcohol while under those medications, so if you plan to go tanning on the beach in the caribbean sun and have some drinks each day you need to tell that to your Doctor, so he can choose the right Meds suitable for you.

Happy healthy Travels

Mike