We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online Hotel booking help?

Sudbury, Ontario...
8 posts
Save Topic
Online Hotel booking help?

Ok, so we finally chose Punta Cana as our travel destination for winter 2013 but I have a question regarding Online hotel booking. We chose the VIK Arena Blanca as our spot based on its reviews etc etc. Anyways searching top Ontario and Canadian (and even American) travel retailers, we found there SUPER expensive. So after looking online we found that some UK based retailers offer the hotel only for a thousand or so cheaper for our intended dates. Can Canadians book hotels only with a UK retailer to get the better price? Someone let me know. Thanks...:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

Can you clarify? Are you saying for hotel alone, you can get a UK booking source for a thousand dollars cheaper than a Canadian travel agency or supplier? Your are converting UK pounds to Canadian currency properly?

Don't really see how that can be. If you are talking about a package tour, ie flight, hotel and transfers, then go with a Canadian supplier. A Uk agency is not going to get you a flight from Ontario to the Dominican.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

If your booking the hotel only you can book from any site in the world I have to say though I often find the USA sites to be more competitive than any others price wise when I travel, as the previous poster suggested make sure your looking at the correct exchange rate (made that mistake myself) and usually less expensive booked as a package of flight and hotel

Edited: 5:44 pm, October 06, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

MapleG,

Yeah for hotel alone (I'll book transfer and flight locally for obvious reason). Vik is cheapest, from what I've seen on American and Canadian sites $3900 for our intended dates, whereas british suppliers such as ulookubook offer it for 1400 after factoring in conversion rate. Does that sound right to you guys? Let me know what everyone thinks,

Cheers!

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

I would say the 1400 for Vic let's say for a week for 2 people is around right I would have thought the 3900 would be including flights as that's a lot for the Vic unless obviously its for a longer period or for more people,maybe try expedia or a price comparison sight see if it matches up, good luck anyway hope you do get a good price

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

How long are you going for? Website I am looking at shows prices for 1 week from Toronto including flight,transfers and all taxes are between1071 to about $1300 per person, per week between Jan and April 2013 and about $1200-$1600 for 2 weeks. I would just look for sale prices, typically about 60 days before your intended trip seems to be the sweet spot for those.

One thing to remember..if you book from an Ontario based company, you are covered by TICO (ie if the tour operator fails or goes under, you get all your money back eventually).

Sudbury, Ontario...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

We're going from March 31-April 21 (long I know ;) ) , so its cheaper then to do hotel separately from flight

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

I would try talking to a real travel agent rather than going on line. As you know, package tours from Ontario-to Dominican are almost always 1 week or 2. A good agent should be able to book hotel separate from flight. If a UK agent can sell the hotel at a certain price, a Canadian agent should be able to do it as well

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

Right krispy you git me intrigued with this so had a look myself and it does seem your right, the price for the Vic arena was 1400 roughly per person and on comparative sites in the u.s 2000, the company says they are abta bonded so your fairly safe there, you could even find a company you like and ask them if they price match then throw that at them, 1400 for 21 nights AI in April is a good deal, go for it and have a blast

Sudbury, Ontario...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

Maple G,

I think that's what I'm going to do ask a local retailer to price match the pound rate. I called two places today (sears and Marlin) and both said that I couldn't get price match on hotels from UK Sites and whats more is larger more well known booking sites like Hotelopia make little to no sense to me. In the Canadian currency rate VIK for my intended dates is 3,900 yet if you click on the currency being the Pound its 960.06 OR 1,514.54 Canadian for both of us. That's a BIG difference. Now I'm getting frustrated a bit, does anyone know a Ontario or at least Canadian dealer that is willing to do such a thing?

Cheers and thanks for all your help and insight guys!

Edited: 10:08 pm, October 07, 2012
Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Online Hotel booking help?

Do a quick search on the company you seen the quote for 1400 it seems they have quite a few bad reports, if something seems too good to be true its usually because it is.