We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

OK first update on the last leg of our trip

Seamless transfer from SRB to here at Sanctuary and great to see Jarlin, the birthday girl, and the rest of the team again. As occupancy is around 20% just now the Fortress is closed so the Honeymoon Suite we booked is not available so we have very generously been upgraded to one of their prime Royalty Villas – I can hear the sound of keyboards going into overdrive now

Getting settled in and had room service for lunch with a bottle of wine. Although the service was great and the food was beautifully presented it was just warm at best. Due to the low occupancy there is only one restaurant, the Blue Marlin, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You do still have the option of room service which we opted for or food around the pool

The name of the resort is back to Sanctuary Cap Cana and the Grand Resort signage has gone which we have known about for a number of weeks but did not wish to share until we arrived here – more on this later

Just sitting chilling out, admiring the view and thinking how truly lucky we are. The ocean is the best we have seen it at Sanctuary and although there is some weed about it is nowhere as bad as was on Bavaro Beach

More later when we have been out and about

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

pc2009

All the renovation at EPC with be completed by the end of this month

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

OK more as promised

Had breakfast this morning at Casa Bella and I am so glad they decided to open it as it is such a lovely setting. I have talked with several people today who also agree that it is a great move. No buffet 0 just a la carte that suits us fine. Great choice or food, great service as normal and a few more familiar faces from pervious trips. The food was also beautifully presented so I took a few photos for my new album

Spend the morning out and about taking photos of the resort – this place is just so beautiful. Trump Beach is in much better order this year – much cleaner and more like what we saw it back on our first trip in 2010

Has a walk up to the Fortress which is totally closed with loads of maiontainence men busy getting it ready to reopen later this month. It is so sad to see the swim up pool all drained out but having said that when you see the size and depth of it it just reinforces my opinion that it is one of the best swim up pools that we have seen here in the Caribbean

Have found another couple from the UK who are hear for 10 days and they are a little apprehensive about it due to the variety of restaurants, etc so they too are pleased that the Casa Bella was open and I have told them not to be scared to ask for items that are not on the menu as the people here wish to accommodate people and ensure they have a good experience

Had lunch on our terrace which this time arrived piping hot as they used the hot container to transport it. Saw three large rays swim by our villa which was great and I managed to get a couple of quick shots of them

We have spent the balance of the afternoon with Pascal, wife and two children around at the Juanillo Beach Bar where we met Napo one of the owners who Pascal knows very well. For those that are not aware Pascal used to be the Executive Chef here at Sanctuary and is not the Residence Manager at Dreams PC. We also had lunch with him when we were at Zoetry earlier in the trip - great guy and a marvellous chef

Just chilling out on our terrace watching the sun fade away and will be getting showered shortly before having a drink and going for a meal in the Steak House

Just love this resort and especially the setting which is why I am so anxious for it to work and for others to enjoy it

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,564 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

Have a great evening flip!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

Flipflop_man... No mention of meet with Punta Cana Mike in your post? Thought it was this weekend or am I wrong?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

Looking at all the photos of this resort can really see why you feel it's special.

What a truly beautiful place it is.... but how on earth can it remain open with so little business?

I would love the peace and beauty but feel rather uncomfortable without at least some 'busyness' ( at a discreet level not in your face) going on somewhere around the place. But being able to see the stingrays would be something else for me , brilliant.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

Drum

Have sent Mike a PM with some time suggestions and waiting on a reply

There was little point in arranging something until we knew we were staying here plus we were meeing with Pascal this afternoon and have a visit to Eden Roc to plan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

Thanks Flip

We are actually thinking about staying middle to end of November.

Is occupancy usually up at that time?

Also, you mentioned the beach was in better condition then the last time you were there. Can you actually go in and wade?

Also, is the food fresh or do you find they are recycling it?

Can't wait to see some pictures!!

We are still on the fence about booking. The place sure does look beautiful!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

SunStar

They have told us that occupancy will be good in November

The beach cove is not in as good as condition as last year but Trump Beach next door it. You can wade out a good distance and the ocean is swimmable

Juanillo Beach had quite a lot of weed on it yesterday and I will try and get some photos of it before we leave

If you check out their Facebook page I have posted some photos on there already

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

Great meal in the Steak House last night followed by several drinks with a couple we met on our first day here. The Love Bar had a few people in it now and again with people dancing to the music the DJ was playing

After that it was back to our terrace to do some star gazing before getting into bed very, very. The weather seems to be changing now with many more clouds and a strong breeze last night and also this morning

Today we have the option of the Casa Bella for breakfast. Blue Marlin and the Freshco Pool Bar for lunch and the Blue Marlin for dinner. In the Love Bar tonight we have Karaoke

Hoping to see PC Mike at 17.00 tonight so that will be interesting. The rest of the day will be chill out as normal and a few more photos. Getting into the last few days of the trip now so we are beginning to feel a bit sad about it all. We still have a tour of Eden Roc to fit in and also we want to do a couples massage. We have aslo asked the Chef if he can do us a tasting menu so we can try a few of his new creations

The men are on the beach already picking up the weed that has been brought in overnight and there does seem to be a reasonable amount today. As I said before there is a far stronger breeze and the ocean is a lot choppier

Still having a great time and making the best of what is on offer

toronto
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
50. Re: Live from Sanctuary Cap Cana

FFMan. Very glad to hear that your are toughing it out in Paradise. I really hope the new management can make a go of it and hopefully we will visit next year when the new management have had time to put their spin on it.

I think it's wonderful that you will be able to meet up with PCMike and hope that you both come away from the drinks with a new perspective on each other. I know that you are both men of intergrity and while you may have differing views on certain things you both respect the others right to be "wrong". Have a great afternoon and please report back.

Off now to find my deal on an Elegance / Excellence split for March....but the flights are very high in price this year with few very deals around. In Canada everyone seems to be offering price protection (if the price goes down after you book they pay you the difference) which means to me there will be very few price drops this year as the operators can't fill the last seats without taking a big loss on everyone else who booked as well.

Enjoy your last few days on the deserted island.