We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time with a 4 month old

Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
First time with a 4 month old

Hi folks,

Heading to Dreams, Punta Cana in approximately a month with our 4 month old daughter. My wife and I have been a couple years back to Sirenis ( great resort! Had a great time!) but this is our first trip with the little one. It is for a destination wedding so we will have lots of family there with us, which I think will help.

Just wondering about and tips or ideas that you guys have regarding traveling with such a young baby. We aren't worried and are looking forward to the experience, but just looking for some wisdom and thoughts about it.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time with a 4 month old

If the baby is on formula now, pack the formula packets that mix with water. We did that with both our kids when we took them with us each year. Worked good. Easy to pack and weighs next to nothing.

Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time with a 4 month old

She is breastfeeding right now so we should save a little weight with that, but we may take some just in case, thanks for the tip!

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time with a 4 month old

Take a stroller. Very handy for afternoon naps in the shade while you enjoy the pool.

Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time with a 4 month old

Yeah we are looking for a small stoller that we could put some mosquito netting over as well. Our stroller is a big jogging one

toronto
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time with a 4 month old

get the i'coo phoenix umbrella stroller - very sturdy and perfect for traveling. It fully reclines as well.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
977 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time with a 4 month old

Take one of those spring floats for baby, they don't take up any space! Also take some water/squirt toys! We always pack any OTC meds we may need as well as plenty of sunscreen and bug spray/bite med. Pack plenty of diapers/swim diapers, not sure if the selection or prices! Enjoy your trip...glad you are not stressed, we took our son at 11 months out of the country and had the best time!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time with a 4 month old

looks like you have the important stuff covered:

* the Formula, at least as a backup weapon

* a Stroller, we did not bring one on our first full AI week when our Gal went 6 months old, since then we would leave the house for any Becah without a Stroller. take one with big Wheels, as the small ones will not allow you to push it through the Sand on the Beaches

* Baby Sinblocker and Mosquito repellant are a Must Have

* bring plenty of Diapers, as they are ridiculously expensive here, and don't forget a number of Swim Diapers,, with 4 months your baby is at the right age to have funin the water, pool and ocean alike, it is the age when they learn for Life to feel comfy in the Wet Stuff.

* a light Mosquito Net comes in handy, you can use it over the stroller for Napping the same as over the Babybed for the night time's sleep.

Have Fun

Mike

Aylmer, QC
Level Contributor
126 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time with a 4 month old

Your 4 month old will be eating some foods by the time you go in April. I brought my little magic bullet and discretly pureed veggies. I also brought along some jarred fruits from home and some add water baby cereals, cheerios, num nums etc...

We would often get some food for the baby from the buffet and feed proir to our dinner time...That way everyone could eat in peace at a later dinner with the baby sleeping in the stroller.

Check the guidelines of what a 9 months old should be eating and go with that... I would also bring a lot of baby wipes I ran out of them in Nicaragua and could not find any in stores at that time.Thank goodness I knew how to make my own and a small bottle of dish soap from home to wash your sippy's, utensils. All meds you can think of ...to cover all ends :) better safe then sorry.

A good book to read on the beach while baby is napping.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time with a 4 month old

Hi!

We'll be in PC with our 11 month old in december, so I have the same type of questions. If your 4 month old is breastfed, bring a little formula and a bottle. You never know if you need it. Maybe you'll need some baby cereal, but at that age usually they just start to take solid, if they do. And, in my idea, if you can keep your baby on milk till you come back, it'll be easier.

Tap water isn't good to drink. Don't forget, because in the bath some little ones are trying to drink from the water. Hydrate your baby a lot, breastfeeding is perfect for that, as your milk adapt rapidly with the outside temperature.

Stroller, mosquito net, baby carrier (very helpfull even for naps), cortisone, pedialite, liquid benadryl, sun block (some are sure even for infant under 6 months old), insect repellant will be an issue (ask your doctor for the DEET).

What we have found in Canada, as fit mosquito net for crib aren't legal (you'll find it easily everywhere in the world but not in our country) is a Peapod. It's light, very convinient and as net all around it. Perfect for nap at the beach, to play in the shade (net is a sun block) and the big one is good till our baby is 4 years old. The same of a play yard without the weight.

And the usual, as others had stay; from wetties to diapers...

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time with a 4 month old

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the advice, we just got her first round of vaccination shots as well, do you know if we need to bring the imunization record for her tone allowed into DR. We are probably going to bring it all the same just in case.

Great tip on the bath, didnt even think of that and our little girl loves her baths!

T-minus 3 weeks! Getting Excited!