We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Agent messed up our reservations for 4/22 trip

Northern Virginia
7 posts
Save Topic
Travel Agent messed up our reservations for 4/22 trip

We were to have stayed at the Bavaro Princess platinum level. Now we're booked for the Punta Cana Princess All Suites & Spa, VIP. Anyone know about this hotel?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel Agent messed up our reservations for 4/22 trip

The only travel tip I would give anyone is to relax and enjoy!

You say you have travelled a lot, so I will spare you the usual list of things to bring, like Imodium, Gravol etc, but do take them, they are really expensive in the DR. Bring snacks (cashews, jelly beans etc). My husband and daughter laughed at me when I packed them, but they were in there like dirty shirts when I pulled them out.

The best block of rooms is the 5000 block. Although if you are in the 1000 block, that only means you have a 3 minute walk to the beach instead of a 90 second walk! Third flood is best, as it has vaulted ceilings. By the way, the refer to it as the 2nd floor because the follow the idea of ground floor, first floor, second floor.

One trip we were in the 3000 block and the last time we were in the 5000 block. Although the 5000 is closer to the beach, we had a better ocean view from the 3000, only because of the way the building sat, but in both cases it was great.

I would bring shampoo etc. They provide it, but it's in those little tear away packages and I always find it's not what I am used to and after the cholrine or the salt water, my hair needs a wee bit of TLC.

Depending on what you like to do, take the Saona Island excursion. It's a full day, but it's great. You get to see some of the country, then take a speed boat to the island, stop on the way to see starfish in a natural pool while sipping on rum/cokes. Once on the island, you can swim/laze around etc, a delicious lunch is served, then you take a catamaran back - with music and more drinks. It's a full day tho...you get picked up before 7 and get back around 7pm.

We also got the VIP package both trips and we felt it was worth it. The free massages are actually quite good, you get to book all a la cartes for the week at once if you want, the internet connection (if you use it) is pretty fast, although they only have 2 computers.

WOW, considering I started this message by saying I would only tell you to relax and enjoy, I kind of missed the mark!

But you won't be disappointed. Keep in mind that if you find it a bit too quiet, just walk over to the other Princesses!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel Agent messed up our reservations for 4/22 trip

I forgot to add the most important thing!

Do not compare it to your other holidays. Look at it for what it is: a brand new experience, with new people, new ways of doing things etc.

Punta Cana isn't Cuba, is not Antigua, is not Barbados, isn't the Mayan Riviera but has a charm all of it's own and spending your holiday comparing to what other places offered is a waste of energy and isn't fair to any new destination.

Northern Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel Agent messed up our reservations for 4/22 trip

Based on all the info I'm getting both in this forum and other people, my hubby and I are now really excited about the trip. Thank you all for your insights and encouraging words. We love to travel and experience new areas. We always go with an open attitude and definitely do not do the "Ugly American" act. When we return, I'll post here on all the juicy details.

Eastern Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel Agent messed up our reservations for 4/22 trip

My friend Caribe Princess and I will be at Caribe Club Princess April 24 for a week. Caribe, Tropical, and Punta Cana Princess all share the same night life so you may see us!

I am the travel agent friend Caribe mentioned and I agree with everyone on here, I think it is a mistake to the positive (although I am sure the error was shocking to you at first). It is a good reminder to get something in writing from your TA when you book. I am sure the TA feels horrible, but I know that was probably not great consolation.

Anyway, keep an eye out for us, we will be the two funloving gals that spend the days on floaty mats we are bringing to the beach, and on the dance floor alllll night! Caribe is about 6ft tall too so kinda hard to miss! hehehe, she hates it when I say that to everyone!

Happy travels and see you at the bar!!