We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bavaro Princess

Ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bavaro Princess

We are at the Bavaro Princess and will write a review when we return. Just want to let everyone know that this place is awesome and you won't be disappointed.

Take care

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
grand Rapids, Mi
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bavaro Princess

which group of rooms have the best location, I would like a water veiw, near the beach and pool. thanks

OHIO
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bavaro Princess

Did you go VIP? Was the sevice good? What time did the shows start and were they worth going to? How was check -in? Was the resort busy? Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated? What time did you go for breakfast? Did you have a hard time making dinner reservations?

Thanks

Ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bavaro Princess

We went VIP and had a great view of the ocean. We stayed in building 03. Our room �� was 035. We were right behind the presidente villa which overlooks the ocean. I e'mailed ahead to get as close to the beach as possible because we were travelling with elderly parents who had mobility problems. All the villas are beautiful except stay away from the buildings 21 and 22 ' they are close to the sewage treatment plant it is noisy and smelly. The resort it beautiful. You will not be disappointed.

I would suggest booking the reservations early )1st day= because we waited and we got all the late times 830 p.m.

El gaucho has great steak. you don��t need reserv. for breakfast and lunch. The beach is the nicest on the whole strip.

None of us got sick and there were 13 of us. I��ll write again, going to catch my plane gonna miss this place

green bay wi
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bavaro Princess

Roseberry- My husband and I returned from bavaro princess last week I just thought I could help answer some of your ?'s

we went VIP- we were in room 133 right in the middle of the resort- I emailed to ask for a room as close to the beach as possible- and we did not get a room by the beach at all- but we found that being in the middle was nice because we could walk anywhere with out it being too far- check in went really fast 10 min- our room would not be ready till 3:00- so they sent us to the buffet to eat lunch then we just walked around- when we went back they said it was going to be 3:45- that was fine we just went to the lobby bar and got a drink- and sat in the lobby and relaxed- the resort was close to being full- our rep said- but it is so large that it never felt full- breakfast is served till 10:00 am at chopin and hispanolla-buffet- Proud canadian stated that the steak house-El Gaucho-was open for breakfast- it was not when we were there- If you go VIP- you can order room service- we slept late 2 mornings and ordered room service and ate out on our patio- and yes make your reservations right away- we waited to make our last nights resevations till 2 days before we left and we got an even latter reservation 10:00 pm- if you have any other ?'s ask

OHIO
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bavaro Princess

Did you guys take any tours or do any of the nonmotorized sports?What is a good time to get to breakfast and the best place? Did they had any entrees that you really liked? What about the drinks any you would suggest? I've been watching the posts and I am familiar with coco loco and banana mama. Right now we are not signed up for VIP and I'm trying to decide what to do. Were there long lines in the morning for nonVIP to get dinner reservations?

green bay wi
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bavaro Princess

only a few mornings we saw people lined up for reservations- no more than 10 in line- and I don't know how long it took- we always ate breakfast after 9:00- we liked to sleep in- I noticed if we ate later at chopin- the food seems to be cold- I think because not too many people ate there and there was not as large as a food turn over rate- so some food tended to sit-too long- where at the hispanolla-buffet- there were always alot of people- and the food was much warmer-but they have made to order omlettes and eggs at both- and they were always hot- we ate at all the restaurant except sakura- we were not to crazy about too much of the food - however I am a vegetarian and my husband is real picky- our favorite was bella pasta- I liked the lasagna and the pizza was great- not pizza like here- but good- my husband also really liked El Gaucho- the steak house- when we ate at Chopin- the other buffet-but you need reservations for dinner- it was the same food as the other buffet- the seafood-El Pescador- my husband had the lobster- and it was awful- mushy- nothing like the lobster here- but there may be other fish that was good- the only benifit we were glad we had the vip besides the reservation- is the room service - we thought the room service was better than some of the other food they served, we also found out two days before we left that bella pasta served lunch-

If we would have known this room service- may not have been as used as much-we did not use the non - motorized water sports- and we did go on the Aquatic tour- this is wherewe drove our own 2 person speed boat to a coral reef and went snorkeling- it was a good time- we also visited manati park- it was not good - I do not recommend this place at all-don't waste your time and money- I read bad reviews before we left and when we got to our resort some people we met- went and said how nice it was - so I thought for 25.00 ppI thought we would give it a try- I should have listened to the reviews-do not go here

green bay wi
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bavaro Princess

as far as drinks go- I drank a lot of bannana mamas- coco locos, blue Jay-some blue drink, they had a great drink called bannana Royal, bavaro princess, tropical princess, and they were all good- some too strong depending on who makes them- they did have a drink menu in the lobby bar-my husband found out that they had budweiser beer - the last night we were there- they keep it in the back- and then they poor it in a glass- if you ask for a beer it will be El Presidente- which my husband did not care for- I thought it was good- I don't know if budweiser was free to everyone or just vip- we did not have to pay extra- so I do not know

Mpls, MN
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bavaro Princess

Is anyone not surprised that someone from Green Bay preferred Budweiser over El Presidente? (just a little border jab, macymay - it doesn't really matter)

We were there over Christmas and New Year's when BP was supposedly about 85-95% full, but it didn't seem like it at all. The place is on 90+ acres.

Make your reservations the first day there for Licey, if you're not VIP (you'll pay about $25/person). You can better choose which night you want. If you're VIP, the reservation is already made for you - it will be in your packet when you arrive and the meal is included in your VIP package. We found Chopin quite charming and good - no cold food. Whichever breakfast buffet you go to, get there before 9am if you don't want to wait in line at the omelette or smoothie station.

Don't worry too much about which room you're in. If you spend all day at the beach or pool, it doesn't matter if you have to walk 5-10 minutes to get there and back to your room - plus, there are shuttles that go constantly. If you are picky, though, bungalows 1-15, 26-43, & 68-82 are close. All bungalows have 8 rooms.

As Proud-Canadian said, the place is awesome and their beach was the best of the resorts around there - plenty of spots to sit and great waves for body-surfing.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bavaro Princess

We leave for the Princess on the 5th. How is the weather and have any of your party gotten sick!! All the press on the Norwalk virus at the RIU hotels is making me nervous!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Bambu
Hotel Riu Bambu
6,204 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bavaro Princess

II think in one of my previous messages I inadvertantly mentioned that El gaucho served breakfast, they don't. We went to breakfast around 8:30 - 9:00 and liked both chopin and hispanolia; however, the food does seem to be warmer at the lobby restaurant (hispanolia). The staff are wonderful, always smiling and joking. They love if you try to speak spanish. I never found any language barriers when I needed to get a message across. There is always someone there that can translate and I found a lot of the wait staff spoke English (maybe not that well, but they tried). I cannot speak highly enough of the staff, absolutely wonderful

The food is okay. You have to remember you are in another country and the food will not be identical to yours. The coffee is great.We ate everything and never got sick. There were 13 in my group. I was ill one day (dizzy and light-headed) due to too much sun the day before. Licey's serves 3 items (Ox, Veal, or Filet of Sole). Everyone in our group enjoyed the meal.

El Gaucho was really good, it was a-la-carte. We wished we had booked more dinners there, we were too late in making our reservations and were only offered the 10:00 p.m. So 2 nights we ended up just going to Hispanolia (the only place you don't need to make a reservation).

My family went on the Saona Tour (catamaran, snorkling trip) and were disappointed. It was a long day 7:00 a.m. and returned at 8:15 p.m. They were told it was an hour drive by bus but it was 2 and they spent 3 hours on the catamaran with no protection from the sun and they were told only 1 and 1/2 hours. They didn't feel it was work the $82 US per person.

Our Air Canada rep told us about a jeweller who sells her Amber and Larimar cheaper than the other fine jewellers and she arranges the taxi there and back from the resort. We went (only a 10 minute drive) and did find lots of nice jewellry but it was pricy and the quality was really no different from the vendors selling it in their shops at the plazas. Her shop was nice looking and she also makes cigars in her shop. When we were paying for our purchases she asked us the name of our hotel and Air Canada reps name and then she wrote her name down in a book and how much we spent. My guess is the rep was getting a commission. She does not barter like the other vendors. So if you decide to go keep this in mind. We found similar quality for a lot less and we were able to barter.

We didn't go to any shows because we were usually in bed. The resort was at full capacity but it didn't seem busy. I didn't find that people were reserving beach chairs with their towels at 7:00 a.m. When I walked the beach every morning, I noticed that this took place at the other resorts. You would see people placing all their belongs on the chairs but Bavaro Princess has a sign posted that says they do not allow this and I honestly never saw anyone doing it. We usually did not go to the beach until 11:00 and never had a problem getting one of the shaded huts.

Enjoy your trip. I did get bitten 3 times by mosquitos. They like me I guess (no one else in my group got bitten). You won't notice them but there are a few flying around.

Have a great trip

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic