We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did anyone else get ripped off by Skyservice/Sun...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Did anyone else get ripped off by Skyservice/Sun...

Hi

Just a minor gripe, really, but I guess it is the principle that matters. Booked on line in Sept with sun Holidays for 2 weeks in PC. Flight to leave Toronto at 4 pm arrive at 9 pm. Return flight to leave 1005 pm arrive in Toronto 0135 am. Get notified by Sun Holidays on 23 Dec that the flight had been changed to a 0610 am departure and going via St Martin. OK no big problem. Actually liked the new times better. However living 3 1/2 hrs from the airport, plus with the airlines wanting you there 3 hrs before the flight meant either leaving home at midnight or going up the night before and using one of the park and fly hotels. We booked the hotel through Expedia. Clutcher---- get a call back last week from my travel agent. Flights back to original time!!! Costs me $ 40. to cancel my reservation with Expedia. I was hoping whoever made these decisions would take some responsibility for the consequences... silly me! Sorry it's in the fine print in terms and conditions. We can do this as often as we like at your expense!!! Like I said, it's not the $ 40. it is the principle with no apology!

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Did anyone else get ripped off by Skyservice/Sun...

You are all talking SkyService but how many trips were through Signature. They are the underlying problems in all my delays. They have chartered the plane and they make the decisions to delay, combine and stop over.

11 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Did anyone else get ripped off by Skyservice/Sun...

Skyservice is responsible for the maintenance of the plane and they, not Signature, made the decision to delay the flight. They also are supposed to have a standby plane available for situations like this (but not on that day). This is the first time in many flights with Skyservice that I have had (or heard of) a problem, compared to the frequent problems with Air Transat aircraft that I have been told about.

Ontario
9 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Did anyone else get ripped off by Skyservice/Sun...

We too were Sunwing/Skyservice victims. Had our flight time changed to another day several days before leaving (JAN25-FEB1) and encountered added costs with hotel and train changes. The intial booking last October was for a direct flight to Punta Cana only to find that we would now be stopping in Puerto Plata - left at 6:10am and didn't get to Punta Cana until 1pm. To add insult to injury several of us had our luggage broken into - likely during the Puerto Plata stop as it left baggage handlers ample time to do their handy work. Our Sunwing Rep was next to no help in trying to figure out how to secure our luggage for the

trip home...she never did get the answers we needed. Found out when we got to the airport for the flight home that the shrink wrap machine wasn't working so nothing we could do.

Have flown many times with World of Vacations/Air Transat and never a problem..maybe that was just luck but we sure weren't impressed with Sunwing and will NEVER book with them again

Lastly... paid the extra to pre-book our seats - no problem going down but due to the fact that the flight leaves from Puerto Plata and then on to Punta Cana someone else had our seats and we were left with cramming into an alternative -we want our $20.00 refunded - its the principle of it all

Sault Ste Marie, ON
Level Contributor
502 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Did anyone else get ripped off by Skyservice/Sun...

Well, I guess it's nice to know we aren't the only ones...recently got April flight cancelled by sunwing, BUT I have to say, sun holidays agent has been great. She booked us thru Apple (like I would ever book thru sunwing again...) so we can go w/ friends in US. Anyone know how long it takes the a#@!&*^s at sunwing to credit back cards??? I don't want to pay a cent in interest! I have used both signature & sunquest in past w/o problem, but I get the feeling this "flight consolidation" is commonplace? I did let sunwing know that they have been discussed in not-so-glowing-terms on a couple travel forums...hopefully people read this & don't get into our situations!

canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Did anyone else get ripped off by Skyservice/Sun...

Hello Everyone,

OK I am reading some stories or people who booked and their vacation didn't go as 100% as planned. I am a travel agent, not going to say which one, if you are sincerely interested, email me at lopi09@hotmail.com. First off, us, as travel agents are just the middle men/women. It is up to the tour operator when they make the changes. We have absolutly no control over this. When you yell at your agent, all you are doing is making them not want to help you. We cant make any of the final decisions, but we have reps from the tour operators that can help. Its not the rep's job to jump in all the time, but if you are patient with your travel agent, they may be willing to take that extra step for you!

I, as an agent always tell people, DO NOT book your vacation based on flight times, because until you are in the air, flight times are subject to change. If you want more info, please feel free to email me.

London, KY
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Did anyone else get ripped off by Skyservice/Sun...

This can happen with Apple Vacation as well. My fiance and I booked our trip the end of September and reserved our wedding with Secrets. Apple did not give us our flight time information, claiming they would have the flight information the beginning of Jan. Jan. 2nd, still no information. Middle of Jan. was informed by Apple that the were no longer flying out of Atlanta. Gave us 3 options, fly to Cancun for same price (not getting married in Cancun, duh), book my own flight and pay difference, or cancel.... in other words... kiss my $#$@$#. We ended up cancelling with Apple and rebooking which cost us over $200 more.

North York Ontario
Level Contributor
698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Did anyone else get ripped off by Skyservice/Sun...

I know it costs an arm and a leg- but this is why I dont fly Charters like Skyservice and Air Transat. Try going Air Canada no charter direct flights.