We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Melia Caribe

,aome
5 posts
Save Topic
Just got back from Melia Caribe

I just got back on March 31st from a week at the Melia Caribe in Punta Cana. Here are some of my opinions about the resort and the people who operate the resort:

I went with a friend so it was just two of us married girls in our 30's. The men who work at the resort are VERY forward with the ladies. They bothered us quite a bit. We actually reported one of the bartenders to the front desk because he was trying to get us to back to his room with him. While most of the men were nice and complimented us all the time we were there - there were a few who were pushy, calling our rooms (got our room # from our reservations at the restaurants)we just ignored them as much as we could.

As far as the food it was not that good. You can only get room service if you are in the Royal Service area so you are at the mercy of the resort for food. If your hungry after dinner theres no way to get snacks when the buffets are closed. They just put water and soda in your room. No snacks at the bars either. So eat a good meal because you will be hungry later if you dont. I recommend the "International Rest." and say hi to "Lopez".

The beaches were really nice but the Paradisus beach area was much nicer and had a lot more huts on the beach. The huts go quickly as people leave their stuff there all day even when they are not there. It is really hot at the beach/pool so you will want a hut. Beach: There was quite a bit of sea weed that washed up on the beach too. Also quite a few topless women walking around too. More than I had expected.

We were bothered a little by the time share guys but mostly they were ok. The people at the flea markets on the beach are very pushy. Everything they say is "cheap cheap almost free"....... yea right!

The rooms were old and worn looking. The beds were very uncomfortable and the blankets and bedding were just old and gross. The couch was faded and the room smelled really really musty. I had heard that from a prior post so I brought an air freshener which helped. The fan in our bathroom didnt work so it got really foggy in there.

The people who work at the resort drive scooters and these little beat up cars all over the resort and they drive VERY fast so watch out for them. The train system (3 of them ) for the Caribe and Tropical was a pain in the a**. The resort is so huge you need to take a train to get the beaches, pool, your room, lobby and restaurants (depending where your room is) The trains (they say) run every 15 min but its actually longer. Basically I would NOT go back to this resort-too big and poor set up. Go to the Paradisus, its much nicer and no train system!

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just got back from Melia Caribe

To all of you guys who are going to this resort .You have nothing to worry about this is a great resort the best i've ever been too.You guys are gonna have a great time. Have a great trip.

canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Just got back from Melia Caribe

guys really..this place is to die for. Some people expect to go to a 3rd world country and expect it to be exactly like home...well it isnt the case. You will have to adjust to live how they live for one week or two..depending on how long you are staying, is that so hard when you are visiting such a beautiful place? some people just expect too much. These people try to give you as much as they can and try so hard to please you and cater to your every need, so give them a break and relax! you're on vacation..sure you may run into some bumps in the road but try to make the best of it. Respect others and thats what you'll get in return, its simple. This place is great and I truely felt like royalty and we didnt even stay with the Royal service, so I can just imagine how it is with the Royal Service. I consider myself to be pretty well traveled and this is one the best resorts I have stayed at. Some may beg to differ but perhaps they are merely looking for the bad in anything. ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAYS! safe travels everyone!

islandgirl2

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just got back from Melia Caribe

Wow!What a review. I am sticking with island girl. We leave on the 21st and are staying just a few short days. I too have been to many all inclusives that had bad reviews and found them to be just fine. If you are looking for top notch you are not going to find it at any 1000 room all inclusive but you can find hard working, caring, interesting people and that is why we go. Keep in mind you are traveling to a different country where they earn little and try so hard. All I ask for is courtesy by both the "tourists" and the staff. You can grin and bare the little mishaps if you have that. 15 days to go. I'm banking on a great time. Happy Anniversary to me!See you there hicee1980.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just got back from Melia Caribe

Hey hjoic,

We just celebrated our 32nd on the 2nd. We are headed for the Melia Caribe Tropical on the 15th- the 22nd to really celebrate. lol!

Are you aware if you let the resort know & take a copy of your certificiate of marriage down you get a free upgrade. Be sure to e-mail them & let them know about your Anniversary.

Happy Anniversary!

Happy Travels!

canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Just got back from Melia Caribe

Hjoic: I hope you have a great time! dont sweat the small things, I admire your attitude. This is the attitude everyone should have when going on vacation..go and relax! that is why they call it vacation. The people are so friendly and work really hard, but the grounds are also spectacular,the service great, my room anyhow was gorgeous..I could go on forever! be sure to let me know how you liked it, i dont have any doubts that you'll be back ready to book your next trip!

canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Just got back from Melia Caribe

sillyjilly: I know they many couples on their honeymoon are automatically upgraded (even if they booked a different package)..if there is space you are automatically upgraded, I would email the resort to double check if this is the case for you.

islandgirl2

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just got back from Melia Caribe

No, the anniversary upgrade is not automatic. Your TA has to let them know as well it would be a good idea for you to email the resort with a copy of your marriage certificiate.

We always do both & never have a problem. We also take a printout of the e-mail & certificiate with us.

Hope this helps!

Happy Travels!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just got back from Melia Caribe

What is the upgrade? We requested a room closest to the beach. Should I take the certificate with me and show them at the desk upon checkin?

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Just got back from Melia Caribe

Hicee...I am going down to the MC on the 20th as well!!!