We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

NJ
10 posts
Save Topic
Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

I have been reading posts like mad - going to Melia Caribe next week. I was hoping some of you who have been would like to share some of your favorites at the resort -

1. Favorite water sport/activity

2. Favorite buffet

3. Favorite a la carte

4. Favorite drink

5. Favorite pool area

6. Favorite spa treatment

7. Favorite daytime activity

7. Favorite nighttime entertainment/activity

Anyting else I forgot?

NJ
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

Can I add...

Which side do you prefer - Caribe or Tropical?

canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

jolo: great pick on the resort! i hope you have a great time. make sure to sip a pina colada for me by the pool! alright, so to answer your questions..here goes:

1) kayaking and parasailing...definitely worth it! you can book parasailing (extra cost) at the water sport activity place on the beach, and the kayaking is free!

2)I forget the name of it...its not coming to mind now, but the main brekfast buffet across from the mexican restaurant, when you see it you'll know. Its the biggest of all the buffets and it has a really great breakfast and dinner.

3)favorite a-la carte would definitely have to be the japanese..its hibachi style and the cook does everything in front of you. The food is excellent. Space is always so limited though as its extremely popular and its one of the smaller ones. Make sure to make those reservations early for the japanese.

4)Favorite drink...wow this is a tough one because theres so many. Try the banana daqueries, the margaritas are fantastic and you can never go wrong with a good pina colada.

5)favorite pool area would have to be the main pool on the caribe side, it is almost identical to the tropical pool but i preferred this one for some reason (theres a pool bar in both pools)

6)Never did go to the spa, but I heard people raving about the massages, so maybe you would want to try one of those out!

7)Favorite daytime activity would have to be the dancing lessons. They are quite a laugh and I always had a good time. They are at 5:00 of im not mistaken and they take place on the beach where you will learn a new dance everyday.

8)Favorite nighttime entertainment...I would have to say thats getting drinks at the bar by the american grill restaurant (beautiful spot, followed up by merengue dancing with live music in the tropical lobby and then going to see the shows in the caribe theatre which were pretty well done.

*as for which side I prefer..our room was on the caribe side therefore we tended to stay on the caribe side for most of our stay but we did of course venture out to the whole resort to see everything. Both sides of the resort are identical so its really up to you!

I hope this helps. Have a fantastic time at the Melia. Safe and happy travels!

NJ
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

That is a great help. Thanks!

Anything else we should know about before we go?

Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

YOU'LL HAVE A GReat time. Have a massage in the spa, not the outdoor tent. My duaghter and I did the outdoor tent, but people are walking by so its not that relaxing. Same price as massages at the spa. And in the spa you can charge it to your room. Cash only at the tent.

I heard that either next week or after that, there will be no motorized watersports because of some religious holiday. Even so, there is plenty to do. Has anyone else heard of this?

Barbara

Twin Cities...
Level Contributor
155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

I was there in January and want to go back some day. These are the things I would make sure to do again:

1 - parasailing

2 - start off every evening with drinks in the Caribe lobby....followed by dinner in the Chinese ala carte. THEN the most important.....followed by drinks at the bar outside of the American Grille (VERY Sexy Place). Then off to the Tropical Lobby for dancing....then off to the disco (in the same lobby). Then followed by late night food at the late-night buffet (the Italian ala carte, I believe it was).

3 - zip line

4 - wandering around the entire resort (both sides) good exercise.

5 - walk the beach

6 - stay up later and sleep later in the a.m.

7 - most of the pre-mixed slushy drinks are good. they have pretty much anything you could want. They also have a menu of speciality drinks they make.

ps: the Caribe side is prettier

you have to take in a show or two in the Caribe lobby (10 pm). they are pretty good.

enjoy!

NJ
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

Wow! So many great suggestions! Thanks everyone!

NJ
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

Were you pestered at all by the time share salespeople or the people trying to get you to buy stuff on the beach?

Twin Cities...
Level Contributor
155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

not pestered by the time-share people at all!

as a matter of fact, the very first day we got friendly with them and told them straight out that we weren't interested. we were never bothered by them at all, except for them to ask how our day was and what we had done that day/will do that evening.

we found that they mostly stayed in one section of the lobby and it is very easy to by-pass that area if you don't want to get cornered by them.

NJ
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

that is what I was hoping to hear

Middletown NJ
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Melia Caribe - suggestions from those who have been?

My boyfriend and I wentto Melia Caribe last August and it was one of the most romantic places I've stayed. We were up-graded to the Royal Service and it was worth it! The rooms were incredible...huge, and the staff were at your disposal to get you whatever you wanted. They made reservations, booked excursions and filled your fridge with whatever you wanted. Huge bathtub for two in the room, nice balcony overlooking the pool. They have a trolley that takes you to the beach that runs every ten minutes. The pool on the Royal side is so relaxing..uncrowded, quiet, barely a kid in site ( if that's what you want, I didn't have my kids with me, so for me it was a good thing). Swim up bar loungechairs built right into the pool! Food was ok, remember you are in a foreign country, it's different, but always something you could find to eat. ala carte better than buffets. Beach was beautiful! uncrowded and great for people watching and walking.

We are going to the Paradisus Palma Real in July, so we will get to compare both resorts. If it's anything like the Melia i'm sure we'll love it!