We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hoteol choice

Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
hoteol choice

Wow , I don't think I have ever seen such a vast # of hotel choices and to a newcomer so many of them have similar name's that it gets confusing. By the time we finally decided on the Majestic Elegance club it was sold out for our days. We like a little luxury but it doesn't' have to be over the op 5* We like good food and seervice. We like to have the option of some music and activities and shows but don't need the all night disco scene. We are in our 50's but pretty youg at heart as the saying goes.I am now looking at the Bahia Principle Amber and the Catalonia Royal, they are in the price range I am looking for. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hoteol choice

Both are very good 4* properties. It comes down to what other attributes that appeal to you. I haven't been to Ambar but I have some knowledge for comparison.

Both are adult only attached to larger complexes. The Bahia is massive requiring a tram to get from one end to the other. Catalonia is easily walkable though a golf cart ride is available if you have mobility problems.

No dinner reservations needed at Cat Royal. Needed at Bahia but can be arranged prior to stay.

Rooms are generally newer and fancier at Ambar.

Beach at Catalonia Royal is soft white sand, lots of shaded areas if needed. Private seating area and chair service right down almost to water's edge. The private area at Ambar is set back with general Bahia seating in front.

Water at Catalonia is calm and shallow. Great for snorkelling but not good if you like playing in waves.

Catalonia is remote. The beach on either side is deserted. Not good if you like very long walks with people looking and checking out other hotels from the beach.

Both hotels are clean, have decent food and service.

Winthrop, Maine
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hoteol choice

Hola:Ambar would be our choice, though we are actually looking at going to Catalonia Royal in November. We loved the Ambar, and thought Ambar had the best food in all of our 12 trips to the DR. (remember that food taste is subjective). The Ambar allows you the quiet of an AO but with full use of the adjoining resorts. Cat Royal also has this option.

Good luck.

Mike & Cyndie - The Maineacs

wisconsin
Level Contributor
838 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hoteol choice

Have you looked at Punta Cana Princess? Adult AI, that is easy to get around, small,around 270 rooms, everything easily accessible. No reservations at the restaurants. Use of caribe and tropical family resorts next door. It's quiet especially at night but if you want more nightlife you can go next door. If you dont mind spending more money, try secrets royal beach if you want an adult AI or Now Larimar next door (family resort) all are good choices.

4. Re: hoteol choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, June 22, 2013