We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deet being taken away at airports in Canada

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Deet being taken away at airports in Canada

Good morning all, just a quick question. I have been reading some reports of insect repellant containing deet being taken away at the Canadian airports, has anyone experienced this? I am a little concerned because I am allergic to mosquitos and if there is a mosquito in sight I am sure to be the one bitten.

Marlene

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deet being taken away at airports in Canada

Marlene, do you think it because of the Deet Or do you think it could be that the deet was packaged in areosol cans. I know in the US they do not like you to have the cans but you can buy the deet in a spray bottle and that works out fine.

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Deet being taken away at airports in Canada

Anything flamable in an aerosol can will be taken if it is in a carry on. It's not the Deet Canadian security is worried about. Deet although widly know as a proven cancer causing agent, is sold in many containers and brands in Canada. However if you spray the deet over a lit match, which is another thing allowed as a carry on, you will produce a 3 to 4 foot flamethrower. Thant a no no!

new jersey
Level Contributor
303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deet being taken away at airports in Canada

we brought off in the pump bottle--also they had off in the carry packs--like little wipes. the wife and i put a cpl of the wipe packs in our pockets each night and 'OFF'-no pun intened--we went.we brought these at k-mart---i'm sure you have a similar store there.

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deet being taken away at airports in Canada

Thanks guys.

I have been traveling for 12 years and have packed aerosols (hairspray) in my checked baggage and have never been asked if I had aerosols and truthfully it never occured to me that it is a potential danger.

I will be sure to buy something different then what I have.

Thanks again for the info.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deet being taken away at airports in Canada

another "skeeter repellent" alternative is to take the dryer sheets and rub them on your arms and legs before going out. And they come in handy on so many other things too...like putting them in the drawers and closets, tying them on to the airconditioner. When you store your luggage, they keep it sweet smelling! So much from a tiny little sheet!

all the best,

baltobabe/mt