We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum Questions

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
624 posts
410 reviews
Save Topic
Rum Questions

I have been reading a ton of posts on how great

the Rum is in the Dominican can someone tell me

are they refering to Dark,light or white Rum???

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum Questions

Usually these comments refer to amber or light rum. Be careful of anything clear as it might be 151 and could bite you real hard.

My personal preference is Brugal Extra Viejo, FWIW.

Gregg

BD2
Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum Questions

Were is the best place to buy rum - staying at Ocean Sands & Golf - April

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rum Questions

I shop at a little supermercado in a strip mall in El Corticito, on the main road, just north of the lights and on the water side of the road.

Gregg

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum Questions

I agree with Gregg...Brugal Extra Viejo is my favorite. Be careful with this stuff...really smooth.

We stayed at Secrets in January. Benjamin, the awesome bartendar at the bar by the beach, mixed Brugal with a banana and some strawberry stuff, making a fabulous smoothie...knocked me on my a$$. We didn't make it to dinner our first night at Secrets due to these concoctions. I am pretty sure that this is Drugdog's (Kevin's) fault...I remember him saying 'make sure you stop and see Benjamin when you arrive...he will take care of you'. LOL

Brenda :~)

Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum Questions

Hi, You guys seem to know a lot about rum. We were in the DR two years ago and bought 40 ounce bottles of Brugal rum for $4.25. We loved the stuff, so when we were in the DR last January, we tried to buy it again. We were at Sunscape the Beach and went to the shops down the beach and found them selling it for $40 per bottle. I know we needed to haggle, but even $20 per bottle is a lot more than we spent before. Is this how much rum costs now?

Mary

BD2
Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum Questions

"little supermercado in a strip mall in El Corticito", how far from Pcean Sands/Blue, can we walk there?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum Questions

Mary,

I paid about $12US for 1.75 L. of Brugal Extra Viejo in November.

BD2,

I think it's too far for that but then I'm not exactly sure of where Ocean sands is. I know it was too far from the Riu and Breezes, where I have stayed.

Gregg

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum Questions

We go into Higuey and shop at the Iberia Supermercado. We bought 1/2 gallon jugs for roughly 15 dollars. They do not take American, so you will have to pay pesos or use plastic.

Shelly

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rum Questions

Sorry Shelley, I guess I've been catering to tourists too long - LOL. I paid $402RD pesos per 1.75 L. jug - I just converted it to $US for the convenience of the readers. At the time the exchange was about $1US = $33RD pesos.

I always have both $US and $RD Pesos and pay with whichever saves me money.

Gregg

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rum Questions

Sorry about the mis-spell on the name Shelly - fat fingers!

Gregg