We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on SPF

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Advise on SPF

I am a real beach bum during the summer months and I usually start the summer off with SPF 30 and then work my way down to SPF 15. But I am reading the sun is much stronger in the DR. I bought SPF 35 for our trip. Do you think that will be strong enough?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on SPF

Hi Sunnymommy! I normally start with 45, then do 30 then 15. I think you should be fine with 35.

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

england
Level Contributor
239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on SPF

hi sunnymommy

when i went there a couple of years ago it certainly was very strong. i used spf30 and this time im going to get a higher factor. also although i wore my hair up i forgot about the parting and caught the sun there too. im definately taking a hat this time!!!!! when i go to europe i normally drop my sun factor to 15 aswell but in the dominican im not doing that. have fun

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on SPF

We used spf 45 each day, all the time, and returned with great color. We are active, and swim a lot, and spent 7 days in Punta Cana. With 45, we had no burning, but still got some sun. I think 35 will be fine, just bring a lot. Our family of 4 went through 3 and a half containers of sunscreen. We also rarely sunbathed in direct sun. It is very hot, strong and wonderful, just use common sense and have fun.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on SPF

To use spf 35, you had better have a good base tan from a tanning bed. You may want to start with 45 and then go to 30. The sun is must more intense becuase you are closer to the equator.

Shelly

Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on SPF

Hey sunnymommy! Where are you staying? We are in PC Apr 3-10! Can't wait.

I have heard that once you go over SPF 30 there is no difference, you just need to keep reapplying. I wore SPF 30 the first few days (fair to medium complexion with a base from the tanning bed). Switched to SPF 15; got a little red, went back to 30. By the middle of the week I stuck to SPF 30 on face, chest where I burn more easily. Used SPF 15 on legs, arms, tummy. My sun glasses have UV protection and are rose tinted; I can always "see" my skin getting pink with them on so know when to grab the 30!

It's wierd, when I take them off it looks fine. Yet only the burning areas show up pink with the glasses.

NB Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on SPF

Well when i go, it is always so funny, because i am dark and tan all year long, so when i am out on the beach, we usually laugh that we are painting by numbers, i usually have 45 on the top of my feet cause they burn, 4 on my face cause i like to be dark, 0 tanning oil on my body and 8 on my shoulders.........but most people dont tan al year, i just think it is funny , it all depends on the person alone their skin type and so on, just remember to be smart