We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horror stories

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
saginaw, mi
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
horror stories

I heard stories last night about people who plant drugs on people on the resorts, crime on the resorts, etc. Is any of this true?

Waverly, Ohio
Level Contributor
277 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: horror stories

didnt see any of that @ Bahia. Total BS.

saginaw, mi
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horror stories

Thank you, I am really looking forward to this trip as it will be my first to the caribbean and my TA assured me this was a safe and wonderful place to go.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: horror stories

terrij:

We have been to the DR twice...most recently in January. We have NEVER experienced any of the situations in your post. The DR authorities do not tolerate crimes against tourists...call it swift justice. Having said the previous, you are in a foreign, somewhat third-world, country...use common sense and have a wonderful vacation.

Brenda :~)

Ohio
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: horror stories

Terri: We are leaving on the 31st for our third trip to PC and have never had any experiences at all with drugs or being offered to buy drugs. We have always found PC to be very safe. Have a great trip!

wasaga beach
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: horror stories

terrij ,

I've been to the D.R. numerous times over the past 5 or 6 yrs. and never experienced any drug or crime problem . When you are off the resort, use common sense and always be aware of your surroundings .

Something did happen earlier this month in Punta Cana that I thought was interesting . I was checking out some stuff inside one of the beach vendors hut when I noticed a fully loaded 9mm magazine lying behind a counter . Upon closer inspection, I found the 9mm handgun a couple of feet away . When the vendor saw what I saw, he calmly picked up the gun, loaded the mag. into the gun, tucked it into his belt, smiled and apoligized to me . I haven't a clue what the gun laws are there or if in fact they have any .

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: horror stories

Just got back from DR. I never seen any of this anywhere let alone heard of any of it before. Security was very strict at the resort i was at

saginaw, mi
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: horror stories

Thank you everyone for your assurances. We leave on April 8. I can't wait.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: horror stories

terrij,

Where are you staying? We leave April 8th also.

Shelly

saginaw, mi
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: horror stories

I don't know where we are staying we booked a 6 apple deal.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: horror stories

You may be at Secrets. If you are, we are in room 7005.

Shelly