We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

Hi

I know this is a very local question, but perhaps someone nearby can help? I live in the Kingston Ontario region and obtained a prescription from my doctor 2 weeks ago for the anti malaria drug chloroquine however the phamacy says they can't fill it as their supplier is all out. I know there are other drugs available, but this one works best with the other meds I take. Does anyone know of one with a supply? They claim they have called all over and can't find any. I have to start it this coming Friday. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
battleford...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

I think there is a Chloroquine shortage everywhere? I got Chloroquine and my husband got a different drug which is supposed to have more side effects. We both started on Saturday and were both fine. Good luck!!!!!!

Regina, SK
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

WE had the same problem. We went to the DR in December and were first told we would be unable to get the meds. We then went to a larger chain pharmacy, Shoppers, and they ordered some in from another drug store in their chain. Maybe try that, worked for us.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

Hi!

I got mine through Shopper's Drug Mart in Ottawa (1 1/2 hour drive). I had to wait 1 week but got them today they should be okay now for supply!

pappajoe

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
London, Ontario...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

Hi, I live near London, ON. Shoppers here took most of the day but tracked down enough to fill prescriptions for both my wife and I. But they did say they are hard to find.

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

What dosage are you getting for chloraquin... my dr said one pill 250mg once every week and the pharmasist says 2 pills (250 mg) once every week? But here in BC I got the prescripton filled no problem.....

London, Ontario...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

Our Dr. also said one a week for 6 weeks 500 mg. Drug store could only get 250 mg pills so we need to take two each week.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

When we went, we took two pills a week for 6 weeks, however, children take less and it goes by weight. My 6 year old daughter took 3/4 of a pill.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

Our Shoppers in Ottawa sent me to a pharmacy at Loblaws which had an ample supply of chloroquine.

Good luck in your quest.

Three more sleeps>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

I had to go to 4 drug stores here in Toronto before I found it. My regular drug store said it was on back order until Feb. You take 500 mg once a week for six weeks (2 pills, each pill is 250 mg.) and they taste awful!!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Kingston, Ontario
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Chloroquine shortage? -- Help!!

Hi there, We are also heading to DR this Friday-The Bahai Principal. I live in Kingston and found the chlorquine at Shoppers Drug Mart at Princess and Division St. There are some side effects- nausea, diarhea and headache. Not too terrible but hopeful worth it in the end.

Fran

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica