We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro
14 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

I will get married December 16th...my fiancee and I would like to have our honeymoon by the beach, even living in RIo and close to nice beaches.

He dreams about a nice calm cristal water caribbean beach...

The travel agent mentioned Punta Cana and just sent me a value for La Cabana but by the reviews it doesn't look like a place for a honeymoon.

We can't afford an extremely expensive hotel but would like something nice for our honeymoon.

Is Punta Cana a good place for our honeymoon? Which hotel do you recommend?

Thanks so much

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

My husband and I stayed at the La Cabana (2003)for our honeymoon. It was ok. The rooms were a little dated-but we barely spent anytime there. The beach is across the street-but is the most beautiful beach in Aruba. I think for the value it's an ok choice.

Aruba is wonderful and I would highly recommend it. We are going to PC in May so I can't compare it at this time. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about Aruba.

akosmer@hotmail.com

Mahwah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
637 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

Hi,

Congratulations!

My husband and I stayed at the Radisson Aruba on Palm beach, the best beach there! There really are no waves, so hanging out on a raft was the perfect way to waste away the day! It was awesome and very romantic. The hotel is really beautiful and the rooms are great with new, stylish furniture. We had a garden view, and it was teriffic!

We are going to PC in May and from what I have heard, the beaches are beautiful, but the water is a bit rougher there.

Wherever you go, have a wonderfully romantic trip!

Rio de Janeiro
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

thanks so much for your answers... I think Aruba would be a better choice because we do want to do snorkeling... the beach seems calmer, better

Our travel agent mentioned Curacao. Have you ever been there? What do you think?

Has anyone been at Bucuti at the low rise area of Aruba? It seems like a really nice place

Sidney, Ohio
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

We have been to Aruba eight times and have stayed at several places. You may want to look into the Holiday Inn in Aruba for the best deal and a very nice place to stay. We have also been to Punta Cana and feel this is also a great place to spend your vacation time. We are going back to Punta Cana in May. And, we plan to return to Aruba next April.

dshaf513@aol.com

Rio de Janeiro
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

Thnaks. I was looking for hotels and we are considering Bucuti. Has anyone stayed there or visited it?

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

Hi!

Curacao is not popular for beaches so if this is a top priority I would rule this island out. I have stayed at La Cabana and it is very family oriented, not very romantic. We had a large 1 bedroom apartment with full kitchen and were very pleased with the accommodation. They do offer and all-inclusive option as well. Punta Cana's beach is beatiful with it's many colors of turquoise and white sand and soooo many palm trees. Very romantic. Of the two locations you mentioned I would choose Punta Cana. There are many folks on this board who know much more about the hotels than I do and hopefully someone will jump in. I do know that Secrets Excellence is a favorite on this board for honeymooners. There are many threads about this hotel on this board. It is highly recommended for it's romance factor, great dining and fantastic service (from what I have read here).

Nakkie

Rio de Janeiro
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

Thanks Nakkie.

Curaçao seemed great but has one major problem... the airline tickets for us to get there is almost the double of the price. Unless the hotels there were much cheaper than Aruba I don't think we could afford it.

We are thinking more about Aruba than Punta Cana because it seemed nicer for snorkeling. Am I right?

I will check this hotel. Has anyone stayed at Bucuti? They seemed really nice, even not having a big swimming pool...which does not bother us at all.

Bound Brook N J
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

Don't go to Punta Cana unless you go to the Iberostar Bavaro Suites. We have just returned from a week of hell there and I wouldn't send a dog there, no less honeymooners! There is no place to go off the resort grounds unless you are on a paid excursion. Aruba is great. Good food at all the restaurants and some pretty interesting shopping. You can get this huge wheel of Gouda across from Seaport downtown for $15.00 The Beach by the low rises is really nice. The Playa Linda is a condo/time share that rents out on the Palm beach. We really love Playa di Carmen in Riviera Maya. Check out Secrets of Capri and The Iberostar Lindo. Nothing like drinks floating down the Lasy River in you tube for two!And the town of Playa di Carmen or the nitelife of Cancun is only a shuttle away!The best beach I have ever lolled the day away on! Good Luck!

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

If you are looking to snorkle, Aruba is wonderful. The ocean is very calm and when we visited (about 10 years ago, sigh...) we took a catamaran snorkeling trip that took you to 3 places and the snorkeling was awesome (I have snorkeled in Aruba, Hawaii, and Mexico.)

We honeymooned in Hawaii, which truly is the most romantic and beautiful place for a honeymoon and have vacationed in Playacar, Mexico for the past 2 years.

We love Playacar, Mexico it is south of Cancun near Cozumel. Lovely beaches and All-Inclusives but the ocean isn't calm like in Aruba. For us, Mexico is affordable and a fairly quick flight from the East Coast.

If you go to Aruba, the Hyatt is very pretty. Personally I liked Mexico much better except for the snorkeling.

Crystal Lake...
Level Contributor
265 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana ou Aruba for Honeymoon? Where should we stay?

I have been to Aruba several times and just recently got back from Punta Cana. I would recommend Aruba way over PC. The most recent trip to Aruba, we stayed at the Marriot on Palm Beach and it was awesome! The Holiday Inn is extremely affordable and for a higher end vacation, the Hyatt or Marriott are the best.

Congrats!