We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Notorized Letter

brantford
1 post
Save Topic
Notorized Letter

I am curious about bringing my son with which I am seperated from my ex... do I need a letter giving permission to bring him on a vacation at one of the resorts on Peurto Plata???

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Notorized Letter

Yes. Any time you take your son out of the country, it's best to have a notarized letter that your ex has signed, granting you permission to do so. Too many stories of kidnappings... authorities must be sure everything is on the up-and-up. You may or may not ever have to produce the document, but it's best to have it with you.

The letter doesn't have to be anything fancy. Simple English is fine. Legalese is unnecessary.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Notorized Letter

Welcome to the forum tammy k!

Requirements vary. How old is your son and what country are you and he legal residents of?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
272 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Notorized Letter

Hi there!

Lat summer my son age 17 went to Cancun Mexico with friends and I had to send a notarized letter stating my permission for him to leave the country with the said family.

Hope this helps!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Notorized Letter

Also, baseballmom12, in your instance, I would include something in the letter authorizing the other parents to make medical and/or other emergency decisions in your absence. Not sure if that's necessary for the OP because she is a parent. But, I know when I traveled with my minor niece, I needed explicit permission to make medical decisions on her behalf.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
272 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Notorized Letter

Hi poozieny,

I believe i did include medical/ emergency authorization to the family, my son said they did ask for the letter after he presented his passport! I agree with you about the OP because she is a parent but i would strongly advise her to get permission from her ex prior to taking their child out of the country, in today's world with all the custody laws one cant be to careful!

Belle River, Canada
Level Contributor
469 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Notorized Letter

Definately get a notarized letter. I work for a lawyer and do them all the time. Just call the lawyer's office. They know what you need and will ask you the pertinent information. Your ex will have to go in to their office to sign. He will need to take photo id. Alos a good idea to send your son's passport to attach a copy. They may not even ask for it at the airport but if they do and you don't have it you won't be able to get on the plane.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
922 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Notorized Letter

Assuming you have a passport for him as well.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Notorized Letter

it doesn't matter what Nationality a Minor is, and Minor means in the DR belwo 18 years of Age, to Leave the DR without both Parents present in Person a Notarized(means here Legalized) Letter from the abscent Parent/'s is required.

most likely You will not be asked for that when arriving in the DR, but when You Leave to head back Home.

such Rule does not depend on any laws back home in Your Homecountry,

it is the Dominican Law for leaving the Dominican Republic with a Minor.

Happy travels

Mike

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Notorized Letter

Sorry to disagree Mike, but certain countries won't even allow minors to board the outbound flight without the proper parental documentation, and certain countries have highly specific language and notary requirements for this documentation.

It is not just Dominican law that needs to be followed.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Notorized Letter

That's not what Mike was saying. What he was saying was that REGARDLESS of your laws at home, you will need the paperwork, for traveling in and out of the Dominican Republic. So, to answer the OP's question, it's an emphatic YES that she will need the documentation.