We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

Kingston, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

My husband and myself just returned from Punta Cana. The resort is definately not what we expected. Almost no one speaks English or they pretend they don't. Most of the people staying there are from Europe. We we arrived we were shown to a room in block 10...absolutely awful. It smelled of mold and was facing the road. We called the desk and asked if we could get an upgrade. The clerk informed us he would have to check and call us back. Well, he didn't call back so we went to the front desk and asked if we could upgrade. The clerk had to check with his manager and then we were taken to a Caribbean Spa Suite on the beach. The room overlooked the beach and was nice but definately not what we would consider at top of the line suite. When we went to take a shower...absolutely not hot water. That was for two days and then we had no water at all. The pictures of this resort must have been taken 20 years ago. The staff was lazy and it took them forever to bring you something. They were not very friendly. We had to call for bath towels because after three days they never brought us clean towels. The beach was nice. The weather was great. The food and the place was definately not up to par. The pool was dirty. I would rate it a 2 and that is being nice. I would just like to let people know what it is like before they travel to this resort. It is not worth the money.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

You are entitled to your personal opinion, but I have not made you my spokesperson. Why would you demand that anyone speak English in a country where Spanish is the official and main language? Why would you be surprised that there are more Europeans than Americans? Anyone is free to travel to DR, not just Americans.

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
961 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

I am an American and I love the Dominican Republic and embrace the idea of another culture. We have always loved meeting people from Europe. Our daughter who is now 19 has traveled with us since she was 7 and it has been a great experience for her to mingle with people from other countries. I'm sorry you missed out on what could be a wonderful experience.

Mentioned in this post
manitoba
Level Contributor
199 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

I have stayed at this resort for two years in a row for 2weeks at a time, i am just wondering if you stayed at the same place we did. I didnt not once come across a lazy staff member. Since they work long days and 6 days a week in the temperatures and humidity i think they are amazing.The staff members we came in contact with did there best to understand our needs and wants and would not give up until they satisfied us. We had gone to the Japenese restaurant and some one in our party did not want peppers in their meal. So the cook prepared a special meal for that person, granted it took patience on our part and their's but they were thrilled they were able to please. When you go on vacation, it is a time for relaxation, what is your hurry. Did you try the cafe, it was excellent. Also when u travel to another country you should not have the same expectations as your own country. Maybe try to learn some spanish it will make your trip more fun trying to learn. I tried this asking certain words and they would tell me and then they would ask me words they could learn in english. I am sorry to hear you had such a bad time, maybe your next holiday will be better.

Quakertown, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

My husband and I are taking our teenagers in June to this resort. I understand the pool is dirty how is the beach? Is there activities (sports) for our children to do? Did you tip? I understand my neighbor just got back and gave the waitress a $4.00 tip and took care of them the rest of the trip. Also the bartender a $1.00 tip and the drinks were great. They did go to secrets. Please reply back we are anxious to hear from you. My husband wants to know how the drinks are? Are you telling me there are no palm trees and does not look like the picture at all?

manitoba
Level Contributor
199 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

Hey

There are the entertainment crew who always have activities going on and a childrens club, depending the ages of your children. Tipping is good they appreciate it. Palm trees are all over the property and beautiful. The beach is beautiful and kept clean to say how many people are there. The drinks themselves are good both alcholic and non. You are going to have a amazing time and make memories that will last a life time.

Quakertown, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

Thank you for your quick response. My husband also wanted to know what kind of bottle water there is? My children are 15 and 14. Are there activities for them? I know they want to do jet skiing and snokeling. My children want to know if they need a license to jet ski? All I want is a relaxing vacation sitting by the beach or pool with a drink in my hand. Is the food that bad? Please reply. Thank you

manitoba
Level Contributor
199 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

Hey pezzi

I had a 16,15,11 they went scuba diving, snorkeling, parasailing, banana boat, they were not bored at all. They didnt have time to do any activities with the entertainment crew.

Bottled water, i forget the name of it but it is supplied in your fridge in your room and none of our group had a problem with it. We were a group of 7 ages 11-62.

Jet skis, didnt see any. I wasnt looking for them, just kayaks, catamarans.

We loved the food and even my pickest eater sometimes on a good day would eat two plate fulls from the buffet when she found something she like.

keep brining on the questions, i will do my best to answer.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

No Jet Skis in PC....

Quakertown, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Bavaro not for Americans!

Hi

I can not think of any more questions at the time. Someone did answer that there are no jet skis in Punta Cana. I also have a picky eater and I am glad they found something to eat. When my son gets home tonight I may have more questions tomorrow. Thank you so much I am looking forward to this vacation.