We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Excellence Beach

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Secrets Excellence Beach

I have read that the beach at Secrets is very rough. Can a novice swimmer be safe or should only strong swimmers indulge? I really would like to stay in a hotel for adults only but would also like to be able to go into the water.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach

The beach is spectacular..

Very wide powder soft sand,tons of coconut palm trees and big booming waves to boogie board in(lots of fun).

If you prefer a calm water to have a nice romantic swim then walk 5 minutes to the right of the property and there is beautifur azure blue waters protected from the crashing waves by a coral reef..(great for snorkling sa well)

At Secrets you have it all...2 kinds of water fun at one location...

Enjoy

Terry aka SB

Lima, Oh
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach

I can only speak from my two trips to Secrets. I am also only a novice swimmer also, but I was still able to go out about a hundred yards and the water was only waste deep. Sometimes the waves would swell to three or four feet above my head, but those are the ones we would catch and body surf or boogie board back to the beach. It was great fun and I did not feel at risk. I would not let the waves be the reason not to go to Secrets. This resort has so much more to offer than just swimming in the ocean. We will be returning for a third time this Nov.

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach

Mike did you get the chance to swim in the calm waters just around the bend to the left of the resort.

Terry

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach

The area to the right of the beach is where we swam many happy hours. However, be sure to take along aquasocks as there is quite a bit of coral hidden and you could injure your feet. There is also an undertow if you go out far enough, we just stayed away from it when we felt it. We loved swimming there because it was more private. We did try several times to swim right out in front of the resort and had a few laughs at the big waves, but when we were there, the surf was too much and literally knocked us off our feet. I was worried I would hurt my back and so deferred to the quieter location and left that part of the beach to the younger and more adventurous boogy boarders and such. The sound of the waves is great too! Have fun.

Lima, Oh
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach

Terry,

We only swam in front of the resort. We did walk the beach forever in both directions. Are you talking to the left facing the ocean or the resort? Going back later this year and will give it a try.

Mike

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach

It is to the right facing the ocean. There is a coral reef that comes up to the shore. That is where Kevin & I snorkel.

Shelly

Lima, Oh
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach

Shelly,

I know of that area to the right, but when

Terry said to the left, I was not sure if she was talking about the same or another area.

Thanks, Mike

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach

If you go a ways to the left past the shops and where the horses mount, there is a picnic area that is used by the resort's employees. The water does seem calmer here too. This may be where she is talking about.

Shelly

NJ
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach

Stayed at Secrets and the beach was amazing! But the waters were way too rough and not relaxing for me. We walked a ways down and found calmer water but there was little beach to relax on there so it wasn't convenient.

Btw, overall, Secrets is beautiful!