We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It shows rain all week :(

chicago
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
It shows rain all week :(

For those who know punta cana it shows 50% chance rain starting Wednesday everyday until Monday. How likely is that?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It shows rain all week :(

I would say very likely. It may be all day or it could be for 2 mins. Don't worry about weather forecasts.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It shows rain all week :(

Those that know Punta Cana love it because of the great weather.

Rain can always happen but it is more likely a quick refreshing shower than a whole day of rain.

I hardly ever see a forecast saying only sun and yet I always have a great time in the sun in the DR.

In fact, I hardly look at the forecasts at all anymore, I know it will be great.

Of course you can get a whole day of rain or a heavy shower lasting longer but please do not mistake the forecast of a shower (chance of rain) with a rainy day!

Many people end up getting worried because of the forecasts but you should read them more like this.

1 day is about 6 hrs of sun, 50% chance of a shower means that out of the 100% sun in a day you might lose about 17% of that on a shower and you only have 50% chance of that happening in the first place!

Enjoy,

Amy

Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It shows rain all week :(

After dozens of trips to the Caribbean I have completely given up on reading forecast's except for maybe temperatures. I think they show rain as a CYA as it is the tropics and a quick shower can pop up at times. If you have a window seat on the plane going in take a look at how the clouds form and you'll see what I mean. Pockets of clouds here and there, some with rain in them but not the "fronts" we are used to in the North. Tropical Depression not withstanding of course.

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It shows rain all week :(

Forecast here calls for 60% chance of snow for the next 4 days - and it likely will. I'd take a Punta Cana rain shower over this anyday!!

St. Thomas Ontario
Level Contributor
359 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It shows rain all week :(

We spent 14 days in Punta Cana last Feb and it showed rain every day. It rained one night for about 2 hours and one day for an hour around dinner time.

We spent 7 days in Punta Cana in May in 2009, it showed rain every day. It rained every day.

I no longer look at any weather forecasts for Punta Cana other than the eyewitness one - get up, open drapes and witness what it is like. Plan day from there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It shows rain all week :(

We were in Punta Cana last week. The forecast was for rain every day, but we only had rain for a little while one morning. I was stressed about the rain for nothing.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It shows rain all week :(

....and you don't have to shovel rain :-P

Enjoy your trip - rain or not, you'll be in a tropical haven - relax and enjoy!!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It shows rain all week :(

Raining and blustery since late yesterday afternoon. Good morning to be a duck!

Weather here can change in a minute and thus forecasts are highly vague and inaccurate.

Next 48 hours...expect showers, some sun and cool temps.

Cheers

PCMike

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It shows rain all week :(

why do people look at internet forecasts, they always say rain??

Vienemo you should start a daily weather blog.

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It shows rain all week :(

Not to mention what are you going to do, cancel your trip??