We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

Washington
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

Hi, my friend wants to get married at Paridisus Palma real in December and I've read that the beaches on the island have lots of seaweed? Also wondering when hurricane season is and when is the best time to go? I don't want to spend all this money on a place I normally wouldn't go to just have a hurricane or worse..

We are more "adventture" types not the all-inclusive sit on your butt types for a big vacation. Also I don't like swimming with fish...

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

In your trip to Hawaii did you swim in the ocean? Did they put a fence up to stop fish from being there?

Seaweed, Not sure abbout Palma Real but have seen none on the beach at Secrets in 5 trips.

Hurricane season is normally over by December.

Unless your post is taken out of context I hope your friend knows of your lack of desire to even be there.

Wonder what you did in Hawaii that you could not do in the DR.

Kevin

Washington
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

Well I want to be there for her, not for me but my husband and I barely make enough money a year to go on this trip at all. Also when we went to Hawaii I tried to go snorkeling but I just couldn't stop freaking out around the fish. It's just me, the ocean freaks me out. Also, their flight is half the time we are going to spend to get there ( about 11 hours from WA state). I normally would never go to Dominican Republic because we don't really enjoy these kinds of vacations, and our trip to Hawaii last year just reenforced that feeling so we felt like it was a big waste of money. We could go hiking and exlore more in Maui though. We were planning on trying to make a trip to Europe in the next year or two but now we are giving that up to be at this wedding for my friend and I just was wanting some reassurance that it will be worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

gardengypsy:

I think the purpose of going snorkeling is to see all the beautiful fish in the ocean. If you don't want to swim with the fish, then you need to stay out of the water. The DR has so much more to offer you...the Dominicans are wonderful people. There are many off-site "adventure" excursions that you can take from the resort...they are extra...so you will need to pay. This trip will be expensive. The cost may put you in a crappy mood. So, maybe you need to tell your friend that you need to stay home and you will celebrate with him/her when they get home.

Brenda :~)

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

gardengypsy:

One more thing...tell your friend to check out the wedding package at Secrets Excellence. We saw many beautiful weddings when we were there in January...very romantic.

Brenda :~)

Washington
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

You're right. And my friend and her live-in fiance make much much more money than we do so it's very hard for them to relate to our situation. But she flew to my wedding 2 years ago here in WA state and I feel like I owe her. Although that cost her chump change compared to this I really don't want to hurt her feelings.

Fort Drum, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

Hurricaine season is 'generally' - and I use that term loosely because you never know. Ausgust until November. Occasionally there are smoe in July and December, but I don't recall there benig a major one then.

Last year Punta Cana was unaffected pretty much by hurricaines. I went in mid-november and there was no debris (seaweed).

...As for seaweed and fish. They are inevitable anywhere you go in any country no matter who says what. The hotel cleans up te seaweed best they can. There are not really many fish that come to the shore, except maybe a few little ones here and there. No sharks =).

No offence though... but you can't really claim yourself the 'adventure' type but are bothered by seaweed and fish. You are a 'tourist'... which is what most are, love the sun and sea... and see new things.

In december keep in mind there will be lot's of mosquitos so bring repelent. It won't ruin your trip though as long as you use it.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Washington
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

Also my friend and I do not live in the same part of the USA so being there is being there or not at all. that is my predicament. She lives in MN and I live in WA. Thanks for the help/advice everyone. :)

Washington
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

"No offence though... but you can't really claim yourself the 'adventure' type but are bothered by seaweed and fish. You are a 'tourist'... which is what most are, love the sun and sea... and see new things."

Well I certainly consider myself an adventure type, NOT tourist. I hate touristy stuff, nothing gets on my nerves more. That's why I am not excited about spending a week at an AI resort that my friend has her heart set on because she would never stay anywhere else. In my opinion, if you are going to an AI you could be anywhere and you would never know the difference so what's the point?

I would love to be somewhere where I could be more involved in the local culture, fun, go hiking in national parks, go rafting, camping, zipline tours,experience the local markets, etc... For example, my previously planned tripped to Europe involves spending most of the time backpacking in the Alps. So I definitely don't think I'm un-adventerous if that's what you imply, far from it. Just not in the Ocean and I live on the Ocean, I just do not like it. I could care less about spending that much money to be near it.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

Glad I did not tick you off to bad with my post. Bad day at work and take a heck of a lot of pride in the country that will soon be our home.

Another way to look at it is that you will be on a tropical Island with temps in the 80's and all the people back home will be in rain or snow with cold days.

You can go anywhere you want in the DR. We hire a cab for around $60 for the day. Go into Higuey and shop at the local markets, tour some very old churches and buildings.

You could hire a cab and head over to the area around La Romana and see the change from the Punta Cana side. Lots of little art type shops and little fishing villages. Just hike the coast on anyside of the island. Have not made it to the capital yet (Santo Domingo) but will try in June when we hit the North Coast for 2 weeks.

With the words All Inclusive being in your package it does not state that you can't leave the grounds.

Kevin

Mentioned in this post
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
New Jersey
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When is hurricane season? And how are beach conditions?

Gardengypsy,

alright money is tight, we all no how that goes. This is the best reason to go to an all inclusive resort. EVERTHING is paid for. In hawaii you cant find an all inclusive, nor vegas or NYc. And if you do find an AI it cost a whole lotta money. Even crusies are not AI. i looked, did find one but the price was crazy. So take the vacation. for a week usual cost for AI for two people 2100/3000. Not bad all food and drink included beautiful beach and a wonderful wedding that you should be at if possable. Hope this helps.

paul&karen

Stargirl how are you??

Mentioned in this post