We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel guards whassup?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel guards whassup?

I was looking at pictures this AM from someone who had gone to PC 2 years ago- In one of the pictures it showed hotel guards walking around with shotguns- is this an everyday thing? What are the shotguns for? I thought that locals were very friendly-? I am thinking twice about the jungle safari tours- should I be? Anybody have any answers- or am I getting pre-flight paranoia?

nantucket
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

There are guards at the resort to prevent those who aren't staying in your hotel onto the grounds.Also to prevent locals and vendors from entering the area. We didn't see any with guns in PC but years ago when I went to Puerto Plata there were armed guards at the airport. The police patrol the beach on atv's and they have guns. But all of this is not in your face and the DR is a safe place. Just be smart-- single women shouldn't go out on the town alone after dark etc... common sense

Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

I too saw the guards in POP with machine guns, they were at the entrance of the Playa Dorada strip. I did not see them at Punta Cana, but the security guard on the resort seemed to packing a weapon. Like a handgun or whatever. I think it is so we will feel safe,,. I am Canadian, and I think guns are maybe not so prevelant as in the US, except of course for the criminals, so it did not exactly make me feel safe, but neither did it worry me.

Don't think twice about the jungle tours, and try not to stress out, I am pretty sure it is mostly for show.

I have a friend who lives in Sosua, and she goes on jungle tours and throughout the country side all the time, and she has never encountered a problem-well, she did get bit by a dog, but it was her own fault.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

Usually you will find that at night the guards do stand at the edges of the property with shot guns. This is true at Secrets at the beach edges. It is a simple precaution. During the day the most lethal weapon any of them had was a corkscrew.

We were just there in August and December, and this was the case at Secrets.

Shelly

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

If you think they are bad in PC, don't go to Barbados. They have their store clerks behind bullet proof glass. LOL

Even at MacDonalds they have the guards with semi automatic machine guns! Their liqor store clerks are behind bullet proof glass as well.

Happy Travels!

Vancover
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

sillyjilly

what island are you speaking about. Barbados does not have a Macdonalds.. locals joke Mickey dee cannot make it on island after settting up for less than 1 year they pulled out---check the , M.D finanicals in barbados they LOST MONEY..PEOPLE DID NOT RUSH TO BUY ONLY COUNTRY THEY PULLED OUT OF.

I have just returned from an annual Barbadso trek -what glass screens are you talking about unless at driver in the drive thru Chefette or Kentucky etc. when you pull up there is glasss which they open so you may pay. Are you truly a reporter on Barbados or perhaps thinking of another country

we go in to petrol stations / shops/ bars malls/ rum shps etc order and pay NEVER HAVE I SEEN A GLASS Screen IN over 10 YEARS OF VISTING BARBADOS AT A SHOP/STORE.

suntrav.

Vancover
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

silly jilly.

for an information update Barbados like England does not have liquor store - that is a phrase is very Canadian by the way .????? alcohol is bought sold at corner shops -petrol stations- bars - supermarkets etc. in bardbadso so what si thsi liquor store guards guns story NEVER SAW A GUN CARRYING POLICE OR GURAD IN BARBADOS, . Not like Canada ...

EVERY WHERE OPENLY you may buy drinks / alcohol etc. in Barbados . GET THE FACTS to correct Islands please .

suntrav

wr
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

many people are taken back by the sight of armed guards. most of the time their guns are not even loaded. the locals are generally friendly but there is a need for security just like at home. the gun is there for full effect.

i am surprised about barbados being described like that i would have assumed that it would be safe there.

if you want to see guns go to elsalvador or guatemala. you think that you are in fallujah. every decent person has an armed guard and barbwired fences with high walls and glass broken over the top and attack dogs behind it. they make the dr look like disneyland.

i do agree that for foreigners especially urban canadians and all englishmen it is different to see guns ... try not to worry about it. at the resorts they are there for your protection

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

When we were there 8 years ago they did.

Whether they are still there I do not know. We did a cruise & stopped on the island & a bus toured us for an hour.

I have pictures & a video. When were you there?

It was our 1st trip to Barbados that year. We were dropped off in the downtown area with guards with us.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

It was a general store actually that had a section in the back that was where you paid for the alcohol, behind a bullet proof glass.

We bought suntan lotion there as well.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel guards whassup?

guns, i'll show you guns! go into a Pennsylvania bar during deer season,lol