We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

boston ma
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

Do you know of anyone who has booked/traveled with this company? They are organizing a trip of high school graduates out of the Boston area to Punta Cana, would appreciate any feedback on this company, cannot find any reviews anywhere.Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
North Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

My daughter (graduated 10 years ago) went on a trip with a company called Student Trips or Student Travel (or something like that, can't recall exactly right at the moment). They organized a meeting with parents (at the school) to explain the details, and assure us of how well supervised this group of 17/18 year olds would be while in Mazatlan. There were tours arranged, etc., that were extra $ for each and students could choose which they would participate in, and she chose several.

I reluctantly let her go (was totally against it at first), but caved in as she was a good kid, never in any trouble. In hindsight, why I expected a large group in this age range, 1st time out without teacher/parent supervision, would behave other than the way they did, is beyond me!

Anyways, the company did provide the trip they advertised, good hotel, meal plan, tours were arranged as specified. It was not inexpensive - costs of 'chaperones' had to be covered of course.

It took a while, but little bits kept spilling out and us parents eventually figured out that the trip was very Jerry Springer'esque! Drinking all day at the hotel, clubs all night, every night, a few of them had to be bailed out of jail. Let your imagination go! The chaperones ranged in age from 20 - 23! I don't think dear daughter and friends ever left the 'hotel zone'. So much for the prepaid 'cultural excursions'.

If any of that is an issue for you (and I'm no prude), I would advise that you attend any meetings offered and ask tough questions about things that matter to you.

That was a little lengthier that I started out to be! So....if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Your kid is going to hate me!!!

boston ma
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

Thank you,The big problem is that the school is staying out of the picture,which really concerns me.They have been on school supervised trips,and no drinking is allowed w/severe punishment from the school. I have said no, but keep getting pressure--the ususal-other partents are allowing,they are going to Punta Cana, and she and many will be 18 by then, sounds like trouble-I appreciate the feedback

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

mmtvac - I am one of those parents who would say NO WAY ... my daughter didn't ask when she was in school ( Thank goodness ) but I've seen pictures and videos of these trips both here on TA and on FB and there is no way I'd want my child to be part of that! I consider my daughter very mature for 19 and very responsible as well, and I STILL wouldn't want her to go! Just search youtube for "spring break in Punta Cana" ( or other caribbean destinations for that matter ) and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm sure some of the kids featured on these videos have very proud parents ( if their parents were to see the videos that is )!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

I let my daughter go to Cuba with a friend when she was 18. I would NOT send her with these student groups. When you get that many teens together it is party madness 24/7. Even good kids will get drawn into the madness. Peer pressure.

I know it will be difficult but I advise saying no. No doubt this will incur some pouting but it's best for you both.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
boston ma
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

Thank you , I cant seem to get any feedback information on any websites about this company, I appreciate your input

boston ma
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

Thank you, I will check out the youtube videos, appreciate your input

North Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

You should be concerned that the school is staying out of the picture. Part of what swayed my decision was that the school allowed the presentation on school premises, albeit in the evening and they did state that it was not a school 'sanctioned' trip. But 'sanctioned' to me (and I asked), meant it just wasn't part of the official grad program. We didn't have FB or youtube at that time.

I remember now that this student tour operator had been in business for a long time, and had a US counterpart with a slightly different name.

I remember also that I was led to believe that the group would be made up of students from our school, and others in our district only. Turned out, there were kids from all over the western US and Canada at the same hotel property. Those poor guests that had actually booked a vacation during that period. As I said, it was a decent hotel in a great location on the beach.

I asked about legal drinking age, and was assured that all of these kids were under it, so no problem, they would need ID. I had never been to Mexico at that time!

When it was over, I'd wished we'd organized a similar trip through the grad class only, with a couple of parents joining. And yes, we would of kept our distance and given them a little free reign.

I complained to the tour operator about inadequate supervision, and was basically told that 'my kid' chose to participate in this behaviour. I decided to just let it go, as thankfully, they all came home in one piece.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

Anyone who assures you your 18-year-olds won't be allowed to drink in PC is either clueless or purposely misleading you. Our kids were served alcohol there when they were only 15 (and looked it).

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

I would not let my 19 year old go on one of these trips

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School trip organized by S-Trips out of Canada

<<<<You should be concerned that the school is staying out of the picture. Part of what swayed my decision was that the school allowed the presentation on school premises, albeit in the evening and they did state that it was not a school 'sanctioned' trip.>>>>

Public schools have to let others use their premises during non school hours as long as its approved for the group to present there. This does not imply any recommendation from the school just because a group meets on school property in the evening.