We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

info on real state agent

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
823 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
info on real state agent

Hi guys!!!

So hubby and I have always always talked about wanting to live in Punta Cana, Hubby is lucky as his allowed to work from home so we COULD stay in Punta Cana for as long as we wanted. So we've looked at condo's on the bavaro section. We're are not interested in buying anything yet (we just bought a house back home) but I'd like to know all my info,EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LIVING IN PUJ some months out of the year. If I was to contact a relastate for info and maybe a condo look even if we're not currently interested in buying... is this something they do or they frown up on it? I'm asking because we leave Tuesday and I am wondering if I should set something up for a visit/info? But also don't want to offend or waste anyones time since this is all info. And if YES would anyone of an agent they would recommend that is trust worthy and honest.

Thanks! :)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: info on real state agent

I would contact Maria at Reliable Realty - we met with her in January and she was fabulous and I trusted her 100% and would deal with her without hesitation. Her website is: http://www.reliablerealtydr.com/

If you are interested she even has a "tour" where she will take you out to look at 8-10 condos, give you tons of info on the area and it includes lunch. I can't remember what the price for this was but it wasn't much and it was really informative and really helped us narrow down in which area we would like to rent/buy a condo........

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,515 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: info on real state agent

I could not agree with Cairo20 more - both Maria and Todd Williams are fantastic. I also would have no hesitation to recommend them what so ever - in fact, I would truly never use anyone else.

So professional and knowledgeable - the most accommodating people you would ever meet. They will steer you in the right direction and provide you with the best advice possible.

The link to their site that Cairo gave you is terrific:

Maria or Todd Williams

Cell: 1.829.274.1637

Office: 1.809.552.0898

email: reliableagent@att.net

I know that you will be as impressed as we were.

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: info on real state agent

The best advice has been given in the previous two posts, the tour Maria offers would be your best best.

Cheers, Debbie

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,431 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: info on real state agent

As a local....kudos to Maria and Todd.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: info on real state agent

Agree with all the above; if I would buy again (through an agent) I would go with Maria.

Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: info on real state agent

My experience with Todd and Maria is not as positive as those previously posted. I met them through leasing an apt. that they manage in Bavaro.

I was given the assurance of security when Maria showed me the property.

That security,in reality, was very hit and miss at best. Long story short, I was robbed.

Note - due to very low wages, in the Dominican Republic oftentimes your security guard is the prime suspect. Additionally, never expect the police to assist and any near professional manner.

While I have no proven facts as to who broke into my apt., but I do have a nagging suspicion that a friend of Todd and Maria had some involvement it my lost. His name is Ramon. Maria referred me to Ramon upon my moving in on the first day. She explained that he speaks english and should be my go-to man for whatever I need. In fact she called him to come right then, to repair a inoperable screen door. That is how I first met Ramon.

It turns out that in reality , Ramon is a ex-New Yorker deportee drug dealing street hustler. So bad was his reputation that several local Dominicans cautioned me about my contacts with him. While I did have my concerns with his frequent querying me about my interest in various assorted items that he happen to have for sale; I still benefited greatly from his local knowledge and translation services. Plus he was the drinking buddy of Todd and did come highly recommended.

Piecing together the various details and timeline of the robbery points the finger at Ramon. I do not know and can not prove my suspicions. My word of advice - BE VERY CAREFUL WITH RAMON !!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,431 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: info on real state agent

"While I have no proven facts as to who broke into my apt., but I do have a nagging suspicion that a friend of Todd and Maria had some involvement it my lost."

Then why post this? It borders on slander and could lead to charges against you, posting on a public forum. Why not contact Maria of Todd?

Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: info on real state agent

I have worked with Maria and her husband and they are great.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: info on real state agent

I will not recommend you anyone in particular.

I really dont trust anyone regarding real state in this country, (although I havent met Maria&Todd), so I will simply tell you something about living and investing in Punta Cana.

FIRST, and MOST IMPORTANT: NEVER BELIEVE anything anyone tells you. ONLY BELIEVE whats on legal papers. Everything you are promised, everything you are told you have right to, ask for it in writing and get it notorised.

In this country, everywhere you go for investmnet (Im I have investede in several areas of the country incluing Punta cana), youll find extremelly efficient people, nice and friendly, that will tell you all about how wonderfull and what a great opportunity ypu are about to buy.

Then, AFTER YOU SINGN, they simply dissapear and you have to find how to deal with the problesm that, believe me, you will find.

SECOND: 90% (at least) land and real state in the bavaro/Punta cana area have some sort of title problems. MAKE SURE the place you are about to purchase is "legal-problem-free".

THREE: there are more lawyers in this country than mosquitoes... dont trust the first you find, or is recommended to you. Before you settle for a layer, INVESTIGATE about its activities and try to contact people that have worked with him/her, and ask for references. Alos....make suer to get a quote in writing.... or youll end up paying three-foiur times more.

About where to invest? its very important to determine WHAT are you investing for.

1)Is it your you to live? Proyects sucha as Cocotal are great, but thjey are away from the beach and you defenetellly need a car to move around the area

2)is it for you to rent out? (short period) Buy somewhere along the coastline. Its a fact that 99% of short time renters seek for properties close to the beach, within walk distance

3)Is is for long time rentals? beach line is not neccesary. Most people living at bavaro/punta cana on rental own a car and dont mind not living at beatchfront proyects. Cheaper rentals are more important for them

4) Is it for re-selling? my opinion is to stay away from proyects like Cocotal and White Sands, where there are hundreds of properties selling, (and not selling so good...)

Welcome to paradise "neirbour"! ;-)

Edited: 6:39 pm, February 09, 2012
10. Re: info on real state agent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, February 09, 2012