We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Princess...any illness?

Montreal
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Punta Cana Princess...any illness?

Hello,

Can I get some feed back on the Punta Cana Princess from someone just returning? Is the food really that terrible? It's supposed to be a 5 star...We are going the second week of February.

I am more worried about the flu than the malaria. We decided not to take the meds, mainly cause it's virtually impossible to get a doctor's appointment quickly in Montreal, and also cause we heard the side effects can be pretty bad considering the chances of actually contracting malaria are pretty remote in a resort.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Punta Cana Princess All...
6,312 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Princess...any illness?

I was at Punta Cana Princess from 15-22 Jan 05. I have definitly seen better buffets it was small and sometimes not too hot but certainly a person could find something. The Steak House was excellent and the Italian OK. I suggest you book an Al La Carte for everynight your first day there, the restaurants at the Caribe and Princess are included so there are lots to choose from. If you are not VIP you book A La Cartes with Guests Services till noon everyday. We arrived on Sat too late but booked all we wanted on Sun. The line was small and quick. We also could go to Caribe buffet which is much larger, better selection, better food but at times line ups at the buffet, not great service and one day at lunch we had a hard time finding a table. We enjoyed PPC cause we felt like we had the best of both worlds. Too stay at the PPC which is quiet, with no lineups and plenty of chairs or go to the Caribe noisy and busy. Any other questions I would be happy to try and answer as long as they are not about kids or excursions, I had neither.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Punta Cana Princess All...
6,312 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana Princess...any illness?

we were there in early January and the place is beautiful. I do agree that the buffet isn't the best, but it's fine for a week. We really enjoyed the a la cartes as well.

The trick to the buffet is to not try everything at once - if you want beef, have beef. The next meal try something else. You will get very bored with the offerings if you have a bit of everything at every meal.

We weren't sick, and while we didn't canvas a whole bunch of people, we only heard of one person having a bit of a bout with tourista but only for 12-16 hours.

We didn't see any mosquitos - it's was pretty windy, so if they were around, they had no hope of landing on you.

The rooms are wonderful and ours was very very clean. The public bathrooms were also very clean.

We had a great week, we ate anything we felt like, including fruits and lettuce and yogurt and none of us were sick. Our 12 yr old did have an upset tummy, but nothing that two chewable Pepto Bismals couldn't take care of.

Enjoy!

Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana Princess...any illness?

We stayed at the PCP the week before Christmas. We heard the stories about the stomach problems. We stayed away from anything deep fried and the seafood. The buffets were ok but the restaurants were great. The service and presentation were fun to experience. Remember that as a tourist, you are in a different country. Food is different and prepared differently that you are probably used to. Drink lots of water. We took the malaria meds and haven't had any side effects.