We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
fairfax, va
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

Hi -

My fiance and I are currently planning our honeymoon. Among other places, we are strongly considering going to punta cana. A few questions:

1) How would you rank punta cana in relation to other caribbean islands in terms of beauty, beaches, and safety roaming the island?

2) In relation to that: Do you have a reccomendation as to the 'best' island in the caribbean, in your opinion? Criteria being beauty, white-sand turqiose beaches, and safety roaming the island?

Thanks

Fort Drum, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

This all depends on what other destinations you are considering. What are your other options?

Stinky New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

The safety issue was the one thing that held us back from visiting the Dominican Republic. We finally went to Punta Cana and found no safety issues what so ever. Our resort had a beautiful pool, beach, nice room, and golf. That's what we were looking for, nothing special. We did not roam the island like we usually do, had a great time at the resort. The Caribbean islands are just so beautiful I'm sure you'll find something special on each one of them!

fairfax, va
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

First post: I guess I would say my options are anywhere in the Caribbean. Bahamas, Jamaica, Dom Rep, St Whatever, T&T, all of them...

Second post: Good info. Do you mind telling what resort you stayed, since it sounds like you liked it?

Thanks!!

Stinky New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

Sure we stayed at Ocean Blue. I'm sure it wasn't as nice as Secrets, or some of the other resorts but it very reasonable. What are you looking for in an island?

fairfax, va
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

Thanks!...What am I looking for in an island.....My fiance and I are both beach bums...so we're really looking for stereo-typical caribbean beach (white sands crystal turqoise waters the), something to do outside of the resort be it excursions or just crusing around the island, which raises another criteria..safety, and finally an AI resort with nice clean rooms.

So

1) gorgeous white sand beaches..preferably calm water.

2) safety in around the island

3) nice AI resort

Stinky New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

Ocean Blue does have a gorgeous beach. Water wasn't exactly calm when we were there, but no crashing waves. Like I said we really did not explore the island. Punta Cana seemed safe but other parts are questionable. Now as far as the food at Ocean Blue...it was ok. Not the best, but you could always find something to eat. Room was nice, clean, and big. Did not upgrade so not sure of the honeymoon suite. Maybe if this was my honeymoon I might want to go to Secrets, it sounds nice. There are some other people out there that can tell you about that resort. Give em time, Secret Bride is one person who can give you a lot of info on Secrets.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

If you're looking for perfectly calm water, I have to suggest that you entertain the south coast as well as Punta Cana. I visit Sunscape Casa del Mar in Bayahibe for the calm clear water and amazing snorkeling from the beach, but there are other resorts in that area that might be of interest to you as well. To see a sampling of the calm water, you can check out my pictures posted at http://community.webshots.com/user/kaki333 if you're interested.

In that area there are a number of tropical island excursions and land adventures too. If you're interested in Punta Cana only, I'll leave you to it but if you're new to the island I wanted to point you towards the Caribbean Sea and its benefits.

Kaki

kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
961 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

This is my take on all the islands I've been to:

Dominican Republic: BEAUTIFUL BEACHES-The BEST!You can't beat Bavaro anywhere! And GREAT REASONABLY PRICED ALL INCLUSIVES but it's not the island I'd hop in the car and drive around.

Jamaica: Great Beaches, Dunn' River Falls is fun and you gotta love jerk chicken! Several great All Inclusives but more expensive than in Dominican Republic. I wouldn't drive around Jamaica either.

Bahamas: Great Beaches, not as many all inclusives and more expensive than DR. Buses/Vans can take you around for cheap.

ST. Thomas and St. John: Beautiful beaches, great snorkling, we drove all over the islands! Very few all inclusives.

Aruba: BEAUTIFUL BEACHES, and we drove all over the island and felt perfectly safe. Regardless of what has happened there recently, I found it to truly be "one happy island".

Puerto Rico: Beaches around San Juan/Condada are not nearly as nice as Bavaro in Punta Cana. I know of one all inclusive and it is very expensive. You can drive around, but I wouldn't want to so we took taxis...gets $$$$. But wouldn't trade kayaking/swimming in a Bioluminiscent Bay for anything!!

And then there's Mexico (although it's not an island): (Playa Del Carmen and Cancun)Great Beaches. Great all inclusives, about the same as DR. You can take taxis about the towns and venture out more than in DR

I love them all, but I'll be returning to DR for the fourth time this summer!!!

So, Punta Cana or Mexico for the Beautiful Beaches and All Inclusives, and St. Thomas or Aruba for driving around the island.

Hope this helps!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

I am with Futzy about the calm water. the beach is gorgeous - white powder and water is really as turquoise as in the pictures. The water was not all that calm though. The atmosphere was fabulous and I never felt unsafe, but I went with other people and only went for a bike ride around the main roads, a long walk on the beach - water taxi back, a motorcycle taxi ride to the little town and a walk to the plaza. My friends' went to Saona Island for the snorkelling tour, the Santo Domingo shopping tour, and the ATV countryside tour - they all came back in one piece. I have had people on this site suggest to research the other side of the point in DR La Romana. Do some searches. The water as far as I read was calmer. Kaki on the La romana forum is a pro.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dom Rep / General Caribbean questions

ha ha ha I just saw Kaki's reply which wasn't there when I started mine!!! Hi Kaki