We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much $$ is everyone bringing??

Boston
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
how much $$ is everyone bringing??

I'm not sure how much cash to bring with me, for tips, excursions, etc...

stoney creek
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

I always bring $1000 american. $500cash and $500 travelers checks. I always have plenty and whatever is left I spend it in the airport on the way home.

Boston
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

wow!!! that seems like alot! Then again, I'm a poor college student soo...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

Chelsea, I bring 100-150 in 1's for tips to maids, waiters, bartenders, bellmen, transportation guys. 100 in 5's, 100 in 10's and 200 in 20's I charch any big stuff like spa and excursions on credit cards I have set aside just for that. Remember to call your credit card company before you leave home to let them know you might be using your card outside of the USA.

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Ontario
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

Chelsea, we just got our money today, we have a thousand too but that is for a family of four, . We have 100 for tipping and honestly I don't know what the other money will be for as any excursions will be on Visa. We bought snorkling gear and two inflatable boogie boards and that is what I plan to do for the whole week.....

West Caldwell, NJ
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

I assume the smaller denominations are better so you won't require change. When you buy things from the vendors, do they give you change in American?

stoney creek
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

I know it seems like alot but I was just telling you what I bring. Part of that $1000 is singles and 5s for tipping. I am not cheap when it comes to tipping. I have been in the service industry along time. But the rest is spending. You really don,t need that much unless you plan on going on an excursion everyday.Have fun

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

For 2 adults we usually bring 300 US. & a credit card that we never use & usually bring 100 or so home.

This year because we are both golfing we will take 500 US. I feel this is more than enough.

We have a travel credit card with 500. credit limit on it for this reason.

Hope this helps!

Happy Travels!

Southern Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

$2000 american- you never know what you might find!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
348 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

Me and my girl brought a thousand.

Tipped genorusly, Did one excursion, one spa treatment,Played golf once,brouht home one bottle of rum and one bottle of mamjuania (spelling ??) Tee shirts. Came home with 50.00.

Bill

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much $$ is everyone bringing??

We always bring $150.00 for tips in american small bills.

We put anything else on credit card.

Terry